Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild turkeys ruining garden beds

Posted by shambo sunset 7 No CA (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 29, 06 at 12:52

We've had wild turkeys wandering in and out of our property for the last three years without incident. However, the last couple of weeks a band of over ten youngish turkeys has taken to rooting around in my garden beds. In their quest for tasty tidbits, they uproot plants and disturb the mulch. I also have mulched heavily around newly planted trees. By the time the turkeys are done searching for snacks, the mulch is in total disrepair.

Any hints for keeping them out of the beds & away from the trees? I'm getting tired of repairing the damage only to have them return the next day. Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild turkeys ruining garden beds

I would think that many "tasty tidbits" luv it under the mulch. The only thing that works for me is one of the greatest inventions ever, "CHICKEN WIRE"!,either layed in the ground flat or circling the area you want to protect. My garden looks like a plant zoo. After awhile you don't notice the wire so much & you still have your plants n trees. Without harming the critters. Peg

o

• Posted by malorn 7 S.E. Mass (My Page) on
    Wed, Aug 30, 06 at 20:00

I am always in "awe" seeing wildlife. Wild turkey sightings are few and far between in my area...but I did get to see them once up close and in person when 7 very large one's investigated my yard...Thankfully they didn't find anything interesting and moved on when the dog started barking...What an amazing sight...although you probably don't feel that way right now..but I'd love to see them.

o

maybe if you surround the yard with cans of gravy and cranberry sauce.. they will get the idea.. and run for the hills .. lol ...

ken

o

You could try these ideas as well.

http://www.birddamage.com/turkeys.htm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here