Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
That son of a b1tch...

Posted by taxtax none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 12:54

I seem to have my first major problem with a mammal in my garden and I"m still not sure who it is.

The last few nights SOMETHING has come to my sprouting lettuce and dug it all up and eaten it. It's just about all gone now.

My main conclusion is it is probably rabbits, but I'm only 90% sure on that, even though I have NEVER seen a rabbit anywhere near here (I live in a city).

I want to determine if it really is rabbits for sure, and also is there a way to stop it? I'm debating on setting up some kind of motion alarm censor or something. Anyhow, I guess it's too late in the season now to replant anything.

All my corn, and raddishes, pumpkins, etc. were left untouched.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: That son of a b1tch...

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 8, 11 at 15:58

Not knowing what part in the country you are in doesn't help lead to accurate guesses -

rabbits generally leave plants in place and eat them, not dig them.

Any footprints at all or markings in the dirt, or scat left behind?

o

I saw nothing left behind. However, someone mentioned today that I should put flour all over so I can see footprints more easily. That is an idea.

There are a few racoons in places here, though I haven't seen one ever near my house.

I live a couple minutes away from New York, so it definetly isn't penguins.

o

Morz8 is right. Rabbits generally munch it to the ground, and don't leave much mess. Just missing plants. And they step softly.

Did it really look like something had dug up the plants, or just that the soil was all churned up around them? My best guess is groundhog. They love young greens, and they are heavier, tend to shuffle around and make more mess in loose or wet soil. They are also more likely to 'pull' when eating.

If you don't get this solved for the next few weeks, and find a few stalks of ripening corn knocked down and raided, and find bites taken out of young soft-ripening pumpkins, then you can be sure of the groundhog diagnosis.

They tend to forage late evening and a couple of hours into night, and then again around dawn. Got a lawn chair and a good pair of night-vision goggles? [grins]

o

I guess it's hard to say weather it was just churned or dug up.

Anyhow, I did read about pouring pepper over salad is supposed to make rabbits avoid eating it as soon as they get one wiff. I'll have to remember that in the future..

o

Could be voles. They are very destructive and eat just about anything. Or you got a prarie chicken roaming around the neighbourhood. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here