Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eliseb_gw

Chipmunks Eating My Tomatoes

eliseb
16 years ago

Hi,

What can I do to stop Chipmunks from eating tomatoes from the plants in my garden.

I have tried Fox urine, Shake Away, Pepper Spray, Tin Foil around the base of the plants. Nothing works.

Please Help!!!

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    16 years ago

try a nut wired to a rat trap .. or peanut butter .... find the hole ... invert a large bucket over the hole with the trap inside ....

vermin are vermin .. and if they are stealing your food.. its you or them ... this aint disney ... if you just cant bring yourself to act accordingly .. then perhaps you shouldn't complain ...

the bucket or pot will keep other animals out of the trap ..

good luck

ken

• kubotabx2200
    16 years ago

Best solution is an airgun that shoots .22 pellets.

Second best solution is a rat trap baited with peanut butter.

• calliope
    16 years ago

Have you seen them do it, or just happen to see them in the proximity of your garden when it's been done?

• lagrangeny
    16 years ago

Simply shoot them. They may be raccoons. Raccoons eat in the middle of the night. Very cagey. They will never leave unless you get them now.

• cre8ivmind
    16 years ago

Just a note to ken_adrian, kubotabx2200, lagrangeny ...

Killing is not a solution. I would recommend researching humane preventative measures instead.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• cre8ivmind
    16 years ago

In my last post I neglected to list the preventative methods of control. However, I encourage you to retry those 4 you mentioned.

I recommend this: Fence your garden with 1/4 inch mesh that extends at least 6 inches below the ground and then over your plants. I've also heard that statue predators (i.e. owls) can scare them away.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Blog

• teegee11220
    12 years ago

this morning i found 3 beautifully formed tomatos - still green lying on the ground next to the tomato plant. I thought the recent rain storm shook them loose. But just a moment ago, i watched a chipmunk sit at the bottom of the tomato plant, then climb the stalk and chew another green tomato from the vine. it fell to the ground, he watched and scampered off. my .22 is now loaded and later i will add some mouse traps to yard. these guys have killed numerous flowering plants from underground and two new sapling trees. its time for this annoying "alvin" to die.

• Robert Keeler
    5 years ago

Kill them with traps or a pellet rifle. I kill at least three to four squirrels a day. They are rodents (think mice and rats). You are not spending your time and money to feed rodents. Plus, they carry disease which can be transferred to the food you and your family are trying to eat.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I know this is an old post...but...They seek moisture. Keep a pan of water out for them, it will stop them eating the green ones. As for near ripe ones, I've found ziplock baggies with the corners nipped off for drainage or plastic vented containers that blueberries and the like come in do work. I've battled them for years and these have proven most successful.

tj

• Robert Blumberg
    5 years ago

In hot weather bait Have-A-Heart Traps with pieces of the ruined tomatos and place the trap near the plants. Release the Chipmunks at least 5 miles from your home. In cooler weather bait the traps with blueberries, any raw nut or peanut butter. I remove 8 to 10 Chipmunks each season and it reduces the tomato damage substantially.

• Lynn Theune
    3 years ago

I have found that placing some fur from my cat's brush at each cluster works really well!!