Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Albizia Julibrissin spots on trunk

Posted by Regli55e Ontario, Canada (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 27, 12 at 13:59

Hi, I could use some help identifying what these white spots are. They appear progressively higher on the trunk of the tree, and once there are some above a leaf juncture, the leaf starts losing green color, becoming yellow and eventually dry.
I would really appreciate getting a name of what this might be, so I can try to fight it off before it's too late for my 3 month old seedlings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Albizia Julibrissin spots on trunk

Those are lenticels, an opening in the bark or surface of woody stems, trunks, and roots. These small openings allow for the exchange of gases between the surrounding air and the inner tissues of the plants.

The lenticels of some species are very noticeable, especially on the younger growth where corky bark hasn't started to form yet. Others become an ornamental feature throughout the life of a plant...such as cherry species. Still others may never be obvious.

o

in other words its a maturity issue ..

as to the browning leaves.. it might be a light issue.. are they indoors ... the sun is in decline ...

and with that very lush large drooping leader growth.. i wonder about a fertilizer issue .... you are north of me in MI .... you should be winding down fert for winter .. if any ...

in other words.. something else might be going on.. other than those spots ..

ken

o

If that one dies, there are a billion more seeds/seedlings out there. Those spots are normal.

FWIW, I've been trying to kill one of these for years. If you pull all of the foliage off of it every day for 3 years, it should really start growing well, out of spite.

Good luck with your weed!

o

Thanks a bunch for the reassurance and information. Will stop with ferilizer, hopefully they will recover.
Haha, purpleinopp, one person's invasive plant trash really is another's plant treasure!

o

I know. I've got a lot of potted weeds (if I lived in FL.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here