Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
type and info needed

Posted by jollygiant 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 10 at 14:12

My 8' tomato plant,3 months old or so, apparently a gift from a passing bird, has approx. 1 1/2 inch high fruits, almost Delicious Apple shaped, not round. It has over 180 tomatoes on it plus has given about 30 ones I've picked since early July. The stems average 8-10 tomatoes per group, but I just clipped off a stem holding 16 tomatoes because it seemed about to break and drop all the fruit.I LOVE the big size and amount of tomatoes, but have no clue what type it is. I took photos of the cluster to show a garden store if I get out to do so, but hard for me. Anyone know what type tomato has apple shaped fruit and a mild flavor with a meaty and little seeded interior? With a plant like this I wouldn't need to plant more than one or two next year. Any help would be MOST appreciated!

Image link: type and info needed (43 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: type and info needed

They look very similar to these on Johnny's website. Sounds like I need to try them too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomatoberry

o

Impossible to know. Just save the seeds and grow them again.

o

Why don't you post this picture in the Tomato Forum, or the Vegetable Gardening Forum?

o
REE: type and info needed

rhizo the answer there will be the same as mine from any seasoned grower that knows tomatoes. There's too many varieties for a positive ID unless there's something about the color or shape that doesn't fit 20 other types. They might give suggestions but positive ID will be impossible.

o

Yep..........just save the seeds. If it volunteered, it may be a cross and not have any equivalent named tomato to match it. I had a sausage tomato plant this year a friend had saved the seeds too, nnd labeled peppers. She only had three seeds in the envelope and I got three plants out of it. One of them I lost in the population of the g'house, one I gave back to the seed saver and one I planted. Amazing vine and I'll be saving seeds for it this year. It was the first to bear fruit and is still cranking on a large indeterminate vine. Meaty, good taste.

o

Thank you all, I will try to save the seeds, and since I've heard you can try to winter over some veggie plants (like a pepper),I will TRY to dig it up once cut to a foot high, and see if I can keep it inside.Never heard of a sausage tomato, sounds like yet another one I want to grow,so lucky to have large yard because it may be a huge garden mess year!My plant has blight on the inner area leaves, but one plant I had in a container, bought from a garden store, had blight and I cut it off to a 3" stem and and threw it out- forgot to empty the pot and now it is about 1' high and healthy leaves and a few flowers. I snip off blight leaves to slow spread; now I know what blight looks like I will take steps to keep it away next year. Oh to grow avocados,other warm zone plants!Your posts give me so many ideas :)...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here