Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help save ash-gray ladybug's from dead peonies!!

Posted by elves1111 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 18, 11 at 14:13

so heres the dilemma... Planted some peony flowers this year, which grew for much longer than had anticipated. Anyway, a multitude of pests seemed more interested in them than me. First, aphids- no problem; next, thrips- more of an issue; finally after thrips are dissappering, appeared...spider mites!! so i decided to find me some whiteflies so they wouldn't feel left out! haha! just had to lighten my mood some. we haven't reached my dilemma yet, so stay with me! since the peonies were close to the rest of my garden, peppers,tomatoes,tomatillos..etc.. When started to remove the peonies, to my delight, there are multitudes of ash-gray ladybird(bug) larva and some adults grubbing away on their smorgasbord happily!! Turns out, this species of ladybird even enjoy's powdery mildew as an appetizer! can attest to this, since the little patches of mildew that were there, were almost completely gone!! so now....dUNnnn..dun...dUNNNNN!!!!!!!
..MY DILEMMA..
How do i collect/salvage/recruit these little monsters to do their dirty work in the rest of my garden, which i can already see some of the pesky uninviteds helping themselves to? I need to remove the old, dried, and dead peonies because they are ugly harbingers of doom now!! I have been tediously coaxing our voracious little soldiers one-at-a-time onto the leaves of their new battlegrounds, but they are stubborn and lazy! Please,, any ideas/advice for me, by me appreciated much will BE, and will be muchly! thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help save ash-gray ladybug's from dead peonies!!

You remove them.

If they're adults which are walking around, you help them scoot into a small container, cap, then transport to new home.

If they're youngsters you do the same but understand that they are soft bodied, thus more fragile.

If they are in the pupal stage -- stuck to the leaf & not moving -- don't detach; instead move the pupa still attched to a small piece of leaf.

o
RE: help save ash-gray ladybug's from dead peonies!!

If there is a source of food and some shelter they will move to the rest of your garden with no help from you. If you do move them and there is no food source they will either die or leave. I would leave them alone and rely on them to move themselves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here