Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help!!!! aphids???? on my jade!!!!

Posted by snoelk4 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 11 at 14:28

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH IDENTIFYING THESE NASTY BUGS AND WHAT I SHOULD DO PLEASE!???
I HAVE ALREADY WENT TO THE GARDEN SHOP AND USED AN ORGANIC BROAD SPECTRUM INSECTICIDE BUT THEY ARE STILL THERE.
I LOVE MY JADE AND I AM VERY SAD. I AM NEW TO THIS AND I WILL HAPPILY GIVE MORE INFORMATION IF NEEDED.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE,
SARAH

Image link: help!!!! aphids???? on my jade!!!! (2 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help!!!! aphids???? on my jade!!!!

The picture is too small to tell what they are. Aphids should be easy for you to remove with a wet cotton ball. Look under the leaves too. Do you have other plants nearby that might have aphids too?

o
RE: help! aphids? on my jade!

Succulents often react poorly to pesticides of any & all pesticides

If the plant is of a size that can tolerate it, hose off the critters, then repeat as needed.

Oh yes, the image is far too small to determine what is present. Can you try again, please?

o
RE: help. aphids on my jade?

larger image here. a tad out of focus though

Here is a link that might be useful: image

o
re: see repost for larger picture) help!!!! aphids???? on my jade

PLEASE NOTE; I APOLOGIZE FOR THE ACCIDENTAL POSTING TWICE. THE SECOND POST HAS A LARGER IMAGE. I AM NEW AND MADE A MISTAKE ON THAT.

THE CORECT POST: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pests/msg0814321025691.html?3

PHOTO LINK BELOW

THANK YOU!

Here is a link that might be useful: BETTER PHOTO

o

yep, those are aphids. I would try all of the suggestions above... spray them off with a hose and/or wet cotton ball/swab with rubbing alcohol and touch the aphids to kill them. You won't get rid of them in one try, it takes persistence to get rid of them, especially if your plant is outside. If it's outside, you could also try buying some ladybugs, they love to eat aphids.

Amy

o

Purchased ladybugs will leave.

o

1tblsp real soap + 1tblsp vegetable oil in 1qt of water = dead aphids. Works on mites too. Just be careful and test to see if this formula is phytotoxic to Jade first, don't treat if the plant is in full hot sun, and don't treat with this more frequently then 10 day intervals.

o

Come on, people (IPM man and dieg)...they aren't aphids! Please read the attached link to solve the mystery.

It's worth repeating that Jade plants can be very sensitive to soaps and oils...home brewed or not. However, alcohol works just great. (Only these aren't aphids!!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Let's get with the program, folks....lolol

o

AH I had not seen the other post and could not see the picture.
I assumed others had and they said aphids, that's what I get for assuming.
I did state that a phytotoxicity test should be done. I have never had any problems with this formula, I am fairly sure I have used it on Jade but not positive. It's only 1.56% oil a medium dose. Any way thanks for setting me straight on what they were we surly don't want to go around bumping off predators.

o

Leaf footed bugs aren't predators. They are often piled into the same category as stink bugs and can be found on the same plants. Many people complain of them on their tomatoes, but they can be found feeding on plenty of other plants, as well.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here