Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snoelk4

help! insects on my beloved jade!!! pic

snoelk4
12 years ago

CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH IDENTIFYING THESE NASTY BUGS AND WHAT I SHOULD DO PLEASE!???

I HAVE ALREADY WENT TO THE GARDEN SHOP AND USED AN ORGANIC BROAD SPECTRUM INSECTICIDE BUT THEY ARE STILL THERE.

I LOVE MY JADE AND I AM VERY SAD. I AM NEW TO THIS AND I WILL HAPPILY GIVE MORE INFORMATION IF NEEDED.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE,

SARAH

Image link:

Comments (9)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

Can't really see these insects well enough to be certain. Do they have a solid red body with black legs and antennae?

If so, they are the nymphs of one of the assassin bug species, a beneficial insect.

If they have the red bodies with tiny little black spines or dots on their backs, they might be the nymphs of leaf-footed bugs. Not so beneficial.

They don't really look like aphids to me.

I'd suggest that you take your plant to a nearby garden hose and gently spray the critters away. Jades are quite sensitive to insecticidal soap and pyrethrin; hopefully your pesticide of choice was not one of those.

• snoelk4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your response.

I accidently created 2 posts, the second one about 2 minutes after this one which has a much larger photograph.

Update: I just left my local garden/grow shop and you are correct! They are leaf footed bugs, in the nymph stage. The very knowledgeable people at the shop even had to do some research to find out what kind of insect we were dealing with. They were very surprised to see this particular type of bug. I'm guessing because it is not that common in this area but I am not certain.

I purchased a direct treatment spray called 'don't bug me' by fox farm (the active ingredients have pyethins and pipernoyl butoxide). I also bought a bottle of Neem Oil and was told to dilute it 1 1/2 tsp per quart of water , along with a couple drops of Dr. Bronner's soap. I will of course spot treat the plant first and treat it at night due to the heat and resulting leaf burn.

However, I am still very worried about my Jade (s) and if it will survive between the insects and/or the treatment. I love my jade plants and I would, of course, be very disappointed it or they died. I note I saw what I believe are possibly eggs along one or more of the larger stems/trunks of the jade. There was a small, spiny-like line going vertically up the branch about 4 to 5 inches. If I didn't look closely, I would have thought it was part of the plant.

If anyone has any additional words of wisdom, it would be much appreciated!

Especially anyone who has any ideas if I should:
    1. take clippings in case the Jade needs to be thrown out?
    2. treat my other jade and 'miniature jade'/'elephant bush'?
    3. repot and dispose of the soil that is currently being used?

I should also mention that there are several spider webs on both jades. From what I know (which is not a lot) spiders seem to like jade plants!?? However, it seems like there are more spider webs than there should be. But I am not certain.

Below is a url link to a photo of these nasty bugs. You can also see them on my plant in my other accidental post made a few minutes after this one.

Thank you to anyone who can help!!!!!

Sarah

Here is a link that might be useful:

• jean001a
    12 years ago

original scream for help is here.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/pests/msg0814283722186.html?16539

And as I said on that thread, succulents are very likely to be damaged by any sort of pesticide. Wash the things off.

Here is a link that might be useful: original thread

12 years ago

Leaf footed bugs are quite common. But there's no way a few tiny leaf footed bug nymphs are going to kill your plant. It will take you 3 seconds to rinse them away.

Please heed my earlier advice about using soaps or pyrethrins on your jade! Don't do it! As we have been trying to tell you....rinse the darned little things off with plain water!

Perhaps you could take pictures of all of the other things going on with your plant: eggs, spiny thing, spider webs, etc.

• snoelk4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@jean001a: I would love to just 'wash them off'. However, they have laid eggs and I don't think it i that easy. I am using all organic treatments, or pesticides. The first is simply Neem oil and the other treatment is made from chrysanthemums.
    If it is as simple as washing off, that's good to hear.
    @rhizo_1: thank you for your suggestions and for not being harsh to me since I am new to gardening. As you see above, the treatments I purchased are hopefully not too harsh. The people at the horticulture shop are very pro organic and even warned against using a regular soap but to instead use a few drops of Dr. Bronner's organic soap. I know it seems silly to be so worked up over this one plant but I love Jades. Plus, this one is especially important since it was given to me by a loved one who passed. So, fingers crossed.
    Thank you again.

• snoelk4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@rhizo_1

I am just seeing your second reply. What you are suggesting sounds like a good idea. I will definitely try that before putting anything on my Jade. I will also take some pictures of the other issues I am just seeing. Hopefully this time making them much easier to see.
    Thank you very much for the advice!

• jean001a
    12 years ago

OP said However, they have laid eggs and I don't think it i that easy."

Yes, it is that easy. Moisten a cotton tipped swab and rub them into oblivion.

OP said "the treatments I purchased are hopefully not too harsh. "

Please listen to us! Please!!!!!!
    We've said several times that succulents are often damaged by pesticides -- and that's any kind: homemade or purchased, organic or not.

But then, if you want to kill your darling, go ahead & use the stuff you bought.

• snoelk4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok. I got it. Thanks.

12 years ago

Will look forward to seeing your other images.

By the way...your 'other treatment made from chrysanthemums' is the pyrethrin/pyrethrum pesticide I warned of earlier. Also, your Dr. Bonner's soap, though a 'true' soap and an organic one, is still capable of causing problems to your jade and other succulents. Even these so called organic remedies or home brewed products can cause problems for certain plants.

Your garden center people just aren't up to date on their information about what can be used on which plants. That's an important piece of information considering that two things they've suggested can cause serious problems for your succulents.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations