Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dethcheez

'HELP!!! Caterpillars...

dethcheez
11 years ago

Anybody know of anything that's "Organic" or "Non-Toxic" that I can use to kill Caterpillars

Thanx

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

swallowtail or monarch caterpillars????

how about we get an ID .. then we discuss what you want to wipe off the face of the earth ...

ken

• dethcheez
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These things
    Someone told me they were cut worms
    I basically know them as inch worms
    But whatever they are on top of eating my veggies
    They're also messing up some Expensive carnivorous plants

So Any Help Will be Greatly Appropriated

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Ken, you need to at least try to be of some help to those who come here for some information.

Cheez, the most efficient method of control is to get out there in the early morning, or on a cloudy day, or just after a rainfall and search for the caterpillars so that you can remove them by hand.

I would like to see a picture for identification purposes. Might give us a better idea of what you're up against.

• dethcheez
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What Happened To My Pic???

Here ya go

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

If some supstance you use kills that target it is not "non toxic". Even Insecticidal Soaps are not "non toxic" because they do kill things. Many of the insecticides some of us use may be of low toxicity to us but even many of the things we use everyday can be toxic to us as well as lower life forms.
    Some leaf chewing caterpillars can be controlled, early in their life, with Bacillus thuriniensis - Kurstaki. This is used to control Eastern Tentworm, Gypsy Moth, Tomato Hornworm, Tomato Fruitworm/Corn Earworm, etc. and it is of very low toxicity to us. So what to use depends on what you have and at what age they are when you apply the control.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Yay, those are very young and you should run out and find some of the Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis-Kurstaki) mentioned earlier. It will be available in liquid and powder form. It affects only caterpillars.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Ditto the Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis-Kurstaki), and I'll link an informational page that you may find interesting so you know what you are using and why it works...

Don't feel badly about protecting your plants. I like watching the inchworms, any place but in my own garden. Going out at night with a flashlight and your oldest pruners can be helpful too (or old household scissors, something you don't treasure)...snip them in half. It's amazing how much damage just one or two climbing cutworms can do.

If I get careless and the closest tool at hand are my felcos, I still snip. DH sharpens my hand tools, and he'll say, I don't know how you get a 'pitch' buildup on the pruners - I never tell him its likely bug innards ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: UCDavis - BT

• dethcheez
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Guys/Gals

Thanx for the info. appreciate it

Will look in to the BT