Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Major vole problem

penny1947
12 years ago

I have a different sort of vole problem. It/they are not eating the roots of my plants. It/they are chopping down my plants. Earlier in the spring they bit off all of my native columbines planted along the foundation of the house aswell as all the tops off my Iris fulva and a newly planted Phygelius. Now they or it is cutting down all of my beautiful marigolds and bee balm. Yes I am sure it is a vole as I have actually watched it try and drag a 3ft. bee balm stem that it gnawed down over to an inside corner of the house next to the foundation. It is also carrying the cut down marigold branches over to a corner where the base of the chimney meets the side of the house. I have three live catch traps out there and he/they have avoided all three. I have put out glue boards next to the foundation where I have seen it and the little beast has covered it with dirt and leaves. I put poison out and it has not gone near it. I am at my wit's end literally.

I have heard that Turkey grit can be used as it has sharp edges and the voles don't like it. I would like to get rid of them and then add the turkey grit to the beds.

HELP! How do I get rid of these awful creatures?

Penny

western NY

Comments (2)