Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Egg/Pest/Disease Identification

Posted by jubebabe Wisconsin (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 15:08

I am new to flower gardening, this is my 3rd summer with a garden, and my 1st time on a forum.

So here is my issue:

Spring 2012 while weeding, I found around 10 white, round soft egg type things. They have a few roots attached. I squished one and it had a whitish/gray jelly inside (gross)! This is a full-sun area. I do have a couple perennials planted, but have no idea what this could be from?

Summer 2012, in the same area, I have what appears to be diseased "Surprise Lily's" or "Bare-Naked Ladies" emerging from the ground. They are spiked, but the stalk is reddish-pink, mushy and they stink. I pulled some and they appear be emerging from a small white, round soft egg type thing.

Approximately 30 of these stinky spikes have appeared in this area last two months, they are gross and this section of my garden reeks of something rotten and dead.

I do have Surprise Lily's in my garden, but not near this spot.

Additionally, today, as thinning my Balsam flowers, I pulled a few that had those same round white soft egg type things butted up to the Balsam roots.

I have attached a picture of the eggy things and the stinky spikes.
Does anyone know what they are? And, if the eggs and spikes are the same thing?

Thank you very much for your help!
Jubebabe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Egg/Pest/Disease Identification

stinkhorn mushrooms ... though it has some much more colorful suggestive names.. including the latin ...

endemic to the mulch or decaying wood you have in your soil

ignore them

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o
Stinkhorn Mushrooms...who'da thought!

WOW!!!! THAT IS COMPLETELY INSANE!!!

Probably will ignore them, they are stinky though!

*Here's another picture of my new crop of stinkhorn mushrooms!

Thank you very much for you quick response,
Julie

o

A bad smell, agreed! Try to not disturb them, that seems to keep the smell to a minimum. If the smell is bugging you anyway, you can cover them up with a little pile of mulch or leaves.

o

Probably will ignore them, they are stinky though!

==>> THEN QUIT BENDING OVER TO SMELL THEM .. crimminey.. lol ...

ken

o

Trust me...they don't require any messing with in order to stink. The smell comes from the above ground part and wafts through the garden.

If they crop up near my patio, they're removed with a shovel and put in the garbage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here