Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Mystery eggs on Begonia

Found on B. coccinea hanging about 7 ft. from the ground, but potting soil contains organic substances, so could be a flying thing or a creeping thing. Any idea what kind of critter would lay eggs like this?

Hope it's clear in the pics but the eggs (assumption) are on one of the little stems left after the flowers fall off, in case not. Of course I considered that it's seed pods from the coincidental location but a confirming google of "begonia seed pod" didn't yield anything similar to this.

Comments (28)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last pic.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Hmmmmm...scratching my head and not coming up with anything.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well poo, I thought you'd know. Thanks for looking. I'll keep an eye on this and post again if something changes.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

look like slug eggs..

what the heck they are doing hanging out there.. is unknown .. lol ..

ergo ipso presto.. go out with a flashlight .. at night ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my, they do, but the pattern? And location? Those usually stay under the porch... I think... Hope it looks like (and IS) something else. Should know within a few days if they are slugs, sources seem to agree they take about a week. Not out of the question since there's compost in pots.

Haven't seen any snails but did find a pic of snail eggs that looked similar...

Just realized my desire to use multiple ellipses in this response to Ken, go figure...

11 years ago

lol .....................

ken

11 years ago

Those eggs LOOK like several possibilities I can think of, including slugs. But that location! Well, there are stranger things than some slug (or whatever) getting lost on its way to lay eggs.

• stinkbugtrapper
    11 years ago

They eggs on your Begonia look like brown marmorated stink bug eggs.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, they do, thank you. There are a bunch of bugs that look like stink bugs to me around the yard, not very familiar. If someone who seems like an expert comes along and agrees, then maybe hey wait, that seems to be YOU. Anything I can try feeding these to (as a more productive alternative to smashing them to smithereens!?) Would the emergent from one of these eggs be a carnivore, not a caterpillar? Trying to figure out the critter's decision to lay the eggs in this location.

For mental scale help, what kind of leaves are those?

...and why are you raising these things? (Looks like.)

Going outside to snag this egg cluster and isolate it in a jar, suggestions are getting worse!

• stinkbugtrapper
    11 years ago

This is what bmsb look like fresh out of the egg, the next stage they molt into what look like small ticks. These leaves you see all those eggs on that I posted are from a peach tree. While our commercial trap operates we go around the orchard and collect egg masses for something to do to pass time, so we later destroy them. Some people say chickens like to eat the adults but I dont know if they will bother with the eggs. Brown marmorated stink bugs (bmsb) feed on a wide vairety of ornimentals but they prefer anything fruit or vegetable from the garden, berry trees etc..

• stinkbugtrapper
    11 years ago

Brown Marmorated Stink Bugs from nymph to adult

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the great & helpful pictures and info!

Starting to see little reddish-brown spots...

11 years ago

we go around the orchard and collect egg masses for something to do to pass time

==>> have you ever considered a hobby ... outside of stinkbugs????

lol!!!

ken

• stinkbugtrapper
    11 years ago

Ken - LOL Trust me I have many things in life I would much rather do, but for the sake of people and the food we all put in our mouth I have been working on stink bugs for almost three years now as my primary job. I can't talk much about our company on this forum because of guidelines but I can tell you the USDA says stink bugs could cause up to $20 Billion in crop damage. Last year they caused $50 million in damage in the apple industry alone. Our company is and has been leading the development of commercial traps On 8/8 we did a stink bug removal job at a local Amish farm and caught more than 6000 stink bugs in less than 7 hours from a 2 acre patch of sweet corn. They are a serious agricultural problem, so we are in this double time trying to help farmers and fruit growers not lose their way of living. Attached is a pic of our commercial unit in service.

11 years ago

Thanks SOOO much for this information, trapper. The pictures are truly awesome. Do you think that purple's eggs are BMSB eggs....considering the strange location....or something else?

• stinkbugtrapper
    11 years ago

rhizo , The best way to tell what(purpleinopp's)eggs contain is to see what comes out when they hatch. Eggs can be very difficult to identify not to mention there are many native stink in the US. It could be any number of species. Someone mentioned snail eggs and although they are similar in appearance snails typically lay much bigger masses than that. Very strange for a stink bug to lay eggs on a small vine too but I have seen them lay eggs in some strange places such as my skylight, window sills etc. Maybe purpleinopp can monitor the eggs and show us what hatches out :-)

Original Author
    11 years ago

I will! Thanks again!

11 years ago

Purple, do you have an empty glass jar? Maybe you could clip the vine and put it inside the jar. Those eggs are getting awfully close to hatching. I'd leave the jar outside in the heat and humidity...maybe with a cover of foil poked full of holes.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Good ideas, thanks, I'm with ya... I wasn't kiddin' when I said I was going outside to get it, it's off, on a piece of paper next to computer, will confine it better when we go to sleep if yet unhatched. If we have cause to turn on the A/C, I'll take it outside. The little dots inside are changing but I can't describe how. Stay tuned...

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Put the plant piece into a glass jar of sufficient size.

Then use a rubber band to secure a "lid" of paper towel -- that way, there's for plenty of aeration even while imprisoning the hatchlings.

Original Author
    11 years ago

These hatched while I was sleeping. They're so small...!

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Stink bugs.

Can't say for certain which kind from that image. Can you try again?

If you have brown marmorated stink bugs in your area, they're likely candidates. They have been hugely damaging in the east.

Here's info from Penn State:
    http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/pdf/BrownMarmoratedStinkBug.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: brown marmorated stink bug

11 years ago

Have you given them sonething to eat, purple? A few leaves?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes I put several different kinds of leaves and a piece of a flower. Still too small to have much of an opinion...

Original Author
    11 years ago

These things seem to want to hang out in a group together. Still too small to see any details...

• stinkbugtrapper
    11 years ago

They are either native stink bugs or possibly even kudzu stink bugs but not (bmsb)

Original Author
    11 years ago

Excellent! I will find a nice patch of kudzu for them, feels like a happy ending to me. Thanks for all of your help and helpful info!

• Lori Vanderbilt
    2 years ago

I found those translucent tines white eggs on one of my begonia leaf. It could well be stinkbug from the other comments. Great info!