Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White spots on Coreopsis leaves

Posted by wildflower_2009 5 (Chicago) (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 15:38

Our Coreopsis (don't know its cultivar) has this white spots on its leaves. I'm not sure whether it is "powdery mildew"? Please can you tell me what they are? And how to get rid of it? Thank you very much.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White spots on Coreopsis leaves

Looks like powdery mildew.....You can buy fungicides to treat it.

Ian

o

I agree powdery mildew- Try spraying 2 taspoons of baking soda in a quart of water. Too much baking soda is not too good for the soil so use it as a stopgap measure until you get a fungicide. Neem oil is a good product to have on hand it is an effective fungicide and insecticide.

There are many varieties of Correopsis. Some are taller than others. I'd say if yours is shorter and has different leaves that you both have different varieties.

o

You might try a milk/water solution. 1 part milk, 9 parts water. Spray thoroughly.

Powdered milk may work. Coffee whitener did not work for me.

Nancy

o

Nancy:

Coffee whitener is not milk, nor does it have any part of milk in it. Here is a list of coffee whitener's ingredients--nothing I'd want to put on my plants or in my stomsch

Ingredients
GLUCOSE SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (MAY CONTAIN COCONUT, PALM KERNEL AND/OR SOYBEAN OIL), SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE), DIPOSTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, SODIUM ALUMINUM SILICATE, MONOGLYCERIDES, ACETYLATED TARTARIC ACID ESTERS OF MONO- AND DYGLYCERIDES, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOUR, COLOUR

o

Interesting reading....

Here is a link that might be useful: Baking soda

o

Using milk for disease control.....

Here is a link that might be useful: Milk

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here