Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carlyjo_gw

Is all this damage just from hookworms?

CarlyJo
10 years ago

Hi all! I'm a newbie gardener with a small garden in my Southern California apartment's tiny backyard. I've always wanted a vegetable garden, and finally had the place to start one. I think they're doing surprisingly well considering it's my first time, but a couple plants definitely are having some issues. I have found what I'm pretty sure are hookworms (see picture) on each type of vegetable I'm growing: tomatoes, green bell peppers, squash, and corn. I check each plant daily and remove any of the worms I see. None of the worms have been very big, and I feel like there's still a lot of damage being done. I just started noticing a few bell pepper leaves have patches of white with black spots on their underneath sides, which I thought could be eggs of some sort but I can't find anything online they compare to. Also, a few of the tomato leaves closer to the ground have these brown spots. Does not appear to be affecting the fruit but it's making me nervous. The rest of the damage I think is from hookworms... Holes through the leaves, etc. So I sprayed them with the properly mixed soap water. How often am I supposed to do that?
I know this is a bunch of questions in one, but if you have any ideas for any of them I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks guys!!

Comment (1)