Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamsupernova

When to worry about a bee nest?

IAmSupernova
10 years ago

Basically what the title says. Today I noticed a bunch of bees swarming in the garage and my educated guess is they've built a home in the rafters because they seem to be coming and going from one 2x2 foot area or so. With recent reports (not far from me) of Africanized bees, I'm kind of worried.

I planted flowers and such to draw in the bees for pollination, but didn't expect them to set up their home so close to mine. I'm not really sure where to go from here.. I still need the bees for pollination, so is this kind of a take it or leave it thing? Should I call someone out to see if they are Africanized (can they even tell?) or should I just get rid of them regardless? Does it make sense to get rid of the nest but keep the flowers to draw in more? Will they just likely set up their home somewhere close by too?

Comments (7)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Ask your county's Extension Service office as they will have accurate info for your region.

Locate the office with this map
    http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    10 years ago

And if they are in fact honeybees, many communities (although not all) will have someone near who will do a free live removal then relocate them someplace more appropriate. Have you seen one close enough to know if bee, wasp, or just what you have?

Here is a link that might be useful: examples beekeepers offering bee removal texas

• jean001a
    10 years ago

OP is concerned about Africanized bees. A microscope is required to differentiate between honey bee & Africanized bee.

Further, local authorities will know if Africanized bees are a concern in the region.

• IAmSupernova
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Will probably have to wait til Monday I'm guessing but thanks I'll ask them. I'll see if I can find someone to relocate, too.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i think i once saw BEES in the yellow pages.. get out you say.. lol ..

simply google: FREE BEE REMOVAL ... and add your county ..

beekeepers ought to know the difference.. dont you think ... and for free bees.. those dudes.. and dudettes.. will travel ... [and even if you have to pay them.. its better than hiring pest control to kill them]

and they might even answer the phone on sunday ...

worse they can tell you.. is they are the wrong kind.. and THEN you know ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: i google free bee removal.. plus my county.. and came up with this page.. i presume you can find your state on the left margin ....

• bostedo: 8a tx-bp-dfw
    10 years ago

OP: Does it make sense to get rid of the nest but keep the flowers to draw in more?

Yes - Unless you're a beekeeper, you probably shouldn't allow a hive to remain in or near your residence since you're in a part of the country known to have Africanized bees. The threat is not the few dozen visiting your garden at a particular moment, but you or a pet being too close to a hive when something sets thousands into a swarm,

Here's what a north Texas woman attacked a couple weeks ago while exercising her miniature horses suggests: I want everyone to know if you see bees on your property it needs to be taken care of immediately. We did not disturb the hive. We were nowhere near it.

She survived, but two miniature horses and several chickens were killed. Details may be found in the linked article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thousands of bees attack couple, horses in Pantego (TX)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

I agree, if they are honey bees, they should absolutely not be killed, a pro should remove them for free because they are quite valuable, especially since so many have been lost recently. Certain crops require hiring bee hives to be brought to them, for pollination.

If they are something else, possibly A-bees, I'd want professional help, someone with the proper equipment and safety suit.

I've never had a bee nest/hive anywhere around that I know of, but have always had flowers. Planting flowers does not, by itself, cause bees to make a nest/hive nearby.