Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify this moth (picture attached)

Posted by anontemp123 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 16, 10 at 16:08

I just noticed this moth in my garden today for the first time. I don't know if it is harmful to my vegetable plants. Does anyone recognize it?

Image link: Help identify this moth (picture attached) (42 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify this moth (picture attached)

It's a butterfly. And only seeing underwing markings makes it tough, 20" skim thru guide at hand doesn't get close...

Dan

o

Yep, it's a skipper (type of butterfly), but there are so many . You might be able to get it identified at the Butterfly Gardening Forum. Some really great ID experts in there, though skippers are a real challenge: so many of them and they often look so much alike.

I tend to think of skipper larvae as miner pests of lawns and other plants. They often make little tents from leaves and silk for protection from the hot summer sun. I can't think of any that would be considered a pest of veggies in particular.

I've always got lots of adult skippers all over my flowers, but never see any damage caused by their larvae.

o

Of the 3,000 or so Skippers the larva of most feed on grasses or flowering plants (I once heard from someone that swore that because one fed on Locusts it was an insect predator) there is on that the larva is known as the Beanleaf Roller. However, I would think these would be minor (small, insignificant), not miner (burrowing), pests.

o

The overarching point here is that most critters are either beneficial or benign, and just because it exists doesn't make it a pest. Butterflies are most welcome in our garden, and the plant material in our yard reflects that outlook.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here