Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ovenbird

What is this and how do I get rid of it?

ovenbird
9 years ago

This plant has taken over most of a large flower bed in our front yard. I have no idea what it is or how to get rid of it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Comments (10)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

If this is a plant you do not want growing where you do not want it growing, ie. a "weed", the simplest method of getting rid of it is to dig it up. If it is an unwanted plant does it really make much difference what it is?

• ovenbird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No, it doesn't make a difference...just curious.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Smell it...I think it's lemon balm..but the smell test will be definitive on yes/no.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

It's certainly in the mint family, which would explain its aggressive behavior. My first thought was lemon balm, too. A delightful culinary herb but a problem in the garden if not carefully monitored.

Normal, routine care of our lawns and gardens will always include a little handwork. Especially when it comes to keeping the weeds under control. Hand weeding is still the most efficient method for some weeds.

Pull off a couple of leaves, crush them between your fingers and smell the scent. Lemon balm is decidedly lemony.

• ovenbird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks dbarron and rhizo_1...it is indeed lemony smelling. I looked up pics of lemon balm and it fits the bill. Ack, mint family! I have my work cut out to get rid of it. We were out of town a good part of the spring and summer and I think our yard guys thought it was ornamental rather than a weed...LOL

• ianna
    9 years ago

i agree that it is a kind of mint. It spreads like crazy and to kill it, you would need to remove all the roots. My mints are all potted but nevertheless, it looks like it jumped to the next pots.

• ovenbird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I suspect this came from one of our neighbors' yards. I will need to be vigilent once it is cleared out.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

But please don't try to get rid of it all! Lemon balm might be the most used herb in my container gardens as far as everyday use goes. I use it in hot and icy drinks (makes the volumes of water I drink more palatable), in salads, in herbal butters, and rub it on exposed skin as a mosquito repellent. Also does beautifully in baked goods and with roasted or grilled chicken and fish.

• ovenbird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry rhizo_1 but I think I'll have to try to dig it all up otherwise it will just grow back. Too bad I can't send it your way!

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Actually, I'd like to establish some here. I had it occuring sporadically at my last house...never hard to control.