Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xnicklopezx

Pest HELP!

xnicklopezx
9 years ago

I honestly just clueless when it comes to what is happening to my plants. Here are pictures, I've done my best to research the subject but haven't found anything quite similar. I can say there are lots of lizards around the garden, lots of what appear to be big dragon flies? And also there are lots of really small ants (piss ants I saw them called on another thread :-P) I have tried using sevin dust with no success. I have also tried borax mixed with water and placed near/around the plants with no success. The plants affected right now are banana pepper, bell pepper, jalapeno, cucumber, and unfortunately now my avocado tree :-(. Please Help Me and my new garden! Thank you!

Comments (7)

• xnicklopezx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture 2 jalapeno

• xnicklopezx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture 3 bell pepper

• xnicklopezx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture 4 cucumber

• xnicklopezx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture 5 banana peppers (other plant is completely gone now)

• xnicklopezx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

picture 6 my avocado :-(

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

nick.. please.. STOP TREATING THEM ... its called pollution when you start throwing stuff around.. willy nilly.. with no bug ID ... treatments are useless .. as apparently.. you are finding out ...

it would help if you told us where you are ... lizards?? .. crikey.. you aint in MI .. lol ..

you sound like a newb.. let me tell you .. august is a witch ... by the end of august.. most things look beat up ... and after august.. its fall ..

everything is beat up.. and in decline.. hours of sunlight are going down.. and the sun less intense..

the season is OVER!!! ...

search for knowledge... learn new things.. but its time.. IMHO ... to stop treating things.. organically... or chemically ...

frankly.. your plants.. but for the avacado.. look better than anything in my MI garden ... i have no clue what you are complaining about ...

as to the A ..... i suspect you planted it in summer .... and most peeps dont plant trees in summer .. except in the PNW ... ... and i dont think they have lizards up there so you arent up there ...... but slugs as big as VWs... lol ... every one has their demons ...

any chance i am right on the planting theory???? if not.. more info ...

keep on learning... and good luck

ken

• xnicklopezx
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice, I am a newb for sure. I thought the problem was ants all over the plants, and my mom had a similar problem and sevin dust helped. I will do a little more research I guess. Anyways, I am in south florida, about an hour north of Miami. So it's very hot, sun is still very strong, maybe too strong?

Also you are correct in saying I planted the avocado in the summer which was probably a bad idea, I was just too excited to get started! I also thought possibly the squirrels or possums are eating the plants? would any animals go for strawberries, avocado, bell pepper, jalapeno, banana peppers in particular? Just seems odd, I have mint and tomatos in the same garden seemingly untouched and growing very strong! I also have 2 banana trees, 2 pineapple plants, a star fruit, and mango, also all doing very well. Not long ago the star fruit was close to dead, but its fully back alive now, not really sure what got to that either? Gardening is apparently more than I expected, but I am up for the challenge!

Thanks for any input
    Nick