Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs on/in Weeping Purple Beech

Posted by mercime (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 17:39

Within a few days to my horror my weeping purple beech had many of its leaves stripped from the stems. On closer examination, I saw these furry little bugs. Then I noticed a hole in the bark of the trunk and I see other little entry holes. I sprayed the leaves and stem with Sevin and poured FertiLome tree and bush insect drench at it's base. This happened and so fast! Had I been out of town, I would have lost this tree. What are those furry little things and is it the same thing as what is eating the bark? Is there anything else I should do? I don't see how to post both pictures so will follow with the borer hole picture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs on/in Weeping Purple Beech

One large hole and multiple small borer? holes. Would these small furry bugs be responsible for stripping the leaves?

o

Imidacloprid is a systemic..

once you put that in the soil.. you went into hyper-overdrive.. with a surfactant ... one might suggest.. that at that point.. it was polluting ...

dont get me wrong.. i fully believe in total nuclear chemical warfare .. but that is the systemic ...

is this one brand new.. like the viburnum post????

if so.. your local nursery has some big problems ...

its hard to tell from your pic.. but it looks like there is significant borer damage above the hole ...

can this one be returned also???

ken

o

what is your recommendation on the viburnums? Better to get new helthy plants even though they are smaller or take them all back or only if they are less than 50% girdled? The beech tree is several years old. Will it survive?

o

I know you can do a better job of taking a good picture of the 'furry bugs'. Snip off a piece of a branch so that you can lay it down somewhere to take a close-up.

o

what is your recommendation on the viburnums? Better to get new helthy plants even though they are smaller or take them all back or only if they are less than 50% girdled? The beech tree is several years old. Will it survive?

o

Whatever it was, the Fertilome Tree and Bush Drench took care of it and it is thriving this year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here