Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small brown 'flies' killing my asters and zinnias

Posted by katidid222 Southwest Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 17:56

Can you help? I have masses of very small light brown fly-like bugs taking over my asters and zinnias in my butterfly garden. They don't seem to fly, just sit there but once they appear, the plants brown extremely fast. I'm not sure what these are and how to get rid of them. I have many caterpillars in my garden (monarch) so I need something safe to get rid of the "flies". I just ordered 1,500 ladybugs to get rid of some yellow aphids...could the ladybugs help me with these?

I have a picture I could share if anyone needs to see them...they are very small. MANY thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small brown 'flies' killing my asters and zinnias

The lady beetles will help because they do dine on many small insects other than aphids. To help some you can use a sharp water spray to knock these wee buggers off the plants or you could, with due care, spray them with an insecticidal soap.
I'd suspect that these are also aphids which come in a wide variety of colors ranging from green to orange to brown somewhat depending on the plant.

o
RE: small brown 'flies' killing my asters and zinnias

If they don't fly, why are they 'fly-like'? I'm trying to get a better idea of what they might be. How about a detailed description, if possible?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here