Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are these little white things on my tomatoes?

Posted by joflo723 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 13, 13 at 18:58

I've noticed several of these on my tomato plants. The ants have taken a great interest in them. I don't know if they are eating them or just tending to them, but they're always around them. When I take one off to inspect, it is very soft and looks like a tiny tiny cocoon. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are these little white things on my tomatoes?

Looks like mealybugs to me.

o

oops posted twice

This post was edited by joflo723 on Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 7:53

o

OMG you are right! I read that ants 'milk' them for nectar. That explains the ants around them all the time! I'm posting a link to the YouTube video below that I watched that shows how they farm these insects. It really is cool. However, as much as I love these kinds of wonders of nature, the mealybugs are going to have to go, since I also read that they suck the sap out of plants causing leaf drop. I don't see too many of them yet, so hopefully I can get rid of them quickly.
Thank you so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: Video of Ants Farming Mealybugs

o

It's not nectar that the ants are interested in but their excretion we call 'honey dew '. What makes it sweet is all of the plant sugars these insects (and others like them) suck up all day, every day.

A large population is required to cause signifant plant damage, so I'd be on the watch for other issues that may be causing problems.

Very nice video! It's amazing what goes on in our world....if only we would notice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here