Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! something is killing my EverGreen Bush!

Posted by Jaderose New York (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 19:15

I am having some trouble with my evergreen bush and need some help identifying whats wrong with it. We had a really tough winter last season it snowed more than usual, which really weakened many of my plants. Ever since then half of the leaves on my evergreen bush refused to grow back properly. I checked it and found black things growing all over its trunk and branches. I sprayed fungicide on it thinking that it was a fungus and left it alone for a while, but it's still sick I do not want it getting my other bush sick or my apple tree help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! something is killing my EverGreen Bush!

I forgot to write that I checked it today and under the leaves I found little white worm like bugs on it also.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 22:32

Your euonymus shrub has euonymus scale (insect). When the infestation is heavy, it's difficult to treat and if it were mine I'd take it out, replace with something not susceptible to scale.

Here is a link that might be useful: To read up on scale of euonymus

o

this plague.. is why i got rid of all of my euonymous ...

there are so many things that can be used to replace them.. thats its simply not worth the effort.. or cost.. to treat them ...

there is a shrub forum.. if you want to talk about replacements....

ken

o

if its weakened to that degree, just get rid of the plant. Otherwise it would be far more costlier to buy chemicals to kill off those bugs. (and I do hate using pesticides and I only use it so sparingly).

o

They are easily resprouting. If you still want that shrub you can get rid of the bulk of the problem by whacking it off close to ground level and removing that VERY infested tissue. Rake the area around it to remove all residue and spray it heavily with a horticultural oil. It should resprout from clean wood and resume growing. I keep fairly large beds of various euonymous, and have only had a scale infestation start in one bed once in the last twenty five years. I did just what I told her to do, and by the end of the next summer you couldn't tell there was ever an issue and the scale never returned. That being said, this is a common little shrub and easily and cheaply replaced.

o

I agree with Calliope that cutting this shrub to the ground and letting it grow back is a good alternative. But do not do it now! A heavy pruning at this time of year will trigger a flush of new growth which is the last thing you want to happen as Fall approaches.

Wait until late winter or early spring.

Since you have not showed us images of the whole plant, it's impossible to judge the extent of the winter damage. It could be that the stems, trunk, and even roots are split from the severe cold. Yours wouldn't be the first to suffer extensive damage this past winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here