Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rioseven

Scale?

RioSeven
9 years ago

Okay, I live in a rental, so it is not my tree, but it is in front of my unit...anyway, I noticed today the tree is not looking healthy. And on closer inspection I noticed what must be scale! So two questions, what kind of tree is it and what kind of scale is this? Any help would be great :-)

Comments (10)

• RioSeven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Back of leaf...

• RioSeven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

More photos...

• RioSeven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Whole tree...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I feel like an idiot for not remembering what that plant is but I can tell you that it does not have scale insects. The spots are a rust fungus.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

welcome to my world rhiz.. lol ...

it is a deciduous tree ... the leaves will fall off soon... its fall ...

when they do.. rake them up and dispose of them ...

as the sun goes in decline.. the tree start shutting down the leaves... the ultimate result.. is the fall color show ... and as the leaves shut down ... all kinds of things start attacking them.. so what.. they are falling off ...

congrats on taking a close look at teh tree.. congrats on wanting to learn ... store away that knowledge.. and move on.. and go buy that rake.. unless you are fairly sure.. the wind will blow them all down the street... lol ...

i realize i am ahead of a lot of peeps in z5 MI ... but we all have to come to the reality things are winding down.. and i simply dont 'fix' garden problems.. this time of year ... and in this case.. it will fix it itself.. when the leaves fall off [and then of course.. this is when rhiz remembers and tells me it is an evergreen tree ... lol ...]

WAG.. hawthorn ...

good luck

ken

ps: would be nice to know where you are ...

9 years ago

Rio, my brain cells have recovered.....your tree is a Hawthorn and is suffering from what is called Cedar-Hawthorn Rust fungus. There must be some junipers in the vicinity; this particular disease requires both plants varieties to complete its lifecycle.

Ken, that winter is approaching and the leaves will fall is not a solution for plant pests and disease. "Out of sight/out of mind " just doesn't cut it.

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Fri, Aug 29, 14 at 17:43

• RioSeven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all your help guys! I will grab the landscaper guy when he is around next time and point out the problem. It would be nice if the tree could be saved because it provides privacy, and also I really like it!

9 years ago

Rioseven, I'd like to see YOU educate yourself about Cedar-Hawthorn Rust. I'd be very happily surprised if the landscape guy knows what this particular disease is. The very last thing you or your tree needs is a bunch of inappropriate chemicals being applied at a time of year it will do no good whatsoever.

Google is your friend. Simply type 'cedar-juniper rust ' and scan a few fact sheets and you will get a much better idea of what this unique fungus disease is. You'll see images just like yours.

The alternate host is usually Eastern Redcedar or some other juniper. The spores from an infected redcedar can travel for miles but the origin is usually much closer than that.

Call your local extension office for advice about WHEN to begin treatment next year and with what. It's too late to do anything now. The disease isn't considered terminal, but does cause premature leaf drop and some disfigurement of the foliage.

If your hawthorn is an especially susceptible variety, there really won't be much that can be done to prevent this from happening year after year. Resistant varieties are easier to protect with fungicides.

9 years ago

Rioseven, I'd like to see YOU educate yourself about Cedar-Hawthorn Rust. I'd be very happily surprised if the landscape guy knows what this particular disease is. The very last thing you or your tree needs is a bunch of inappropriate chemicals being applied at a time of year it will do no good whatsoever.

Google is your friend. Simply type 'cedar-juniper rust ' and scan a few fact sheets and you will get a much better idea of what this unique fungus disease is. You'll see images just like yours.

The alternate host is usually Eastern Redcedar or some other juniper. The spores from an infected redcedar can travel for miles but the origin is usually much closer than that.

Call your local extension office for advice about WHEN to begin treatment next year and with what. It's too late to do anything now. The disease isn't considered terminal, but does cause premature leaf drop and some disfigurement of the foliage.

If your hawthorn is an especially susceptible variety, there really won't be much that can be done to prevent this from happening year after year. Resistant varieties are easier to protect with fungicides.

• RioSeven
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I have been googling my butt off. No doubt something will have to be done now, and then again in the spring. It is a multi-stage project. Perhaps the "landscape guy" and I can work together.

What is funny is that the last time I saw the "landscape guy" he asked me if I knew what kind of tree it was. Odd that he had been wondering what type of tree it is but didn't notice the problem. Or maybe he did and didn't want to tell me.

Also a consideration is the large numbers of blue jays, cardinals, and squirrels in the neighbourhood. I wouldn't want any treatments to jeopardize their health.