Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White flakes / specs on leaves of shrub

Posted by jaomonk MA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 20:37

Can someone kindly tell me what these elongated flakes on the leaves of a shrub in front of our house indicate? Is it from an insect or a disease? How to take care of it? Thanks a bunch!

Here is a link that might be useful: White Flakes (at photobucket)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White flakes / specs on leaves of shrub

Looks like euonymus scale, tough to get rid of.
hortster

o

Agreed. Very common on euonymus. Choose the remedy that comports with your worldview.

Dan

o

Just so you know....'scale' is a dreaded INSECT pest. And your shrub is a euonymus of one kind or another. If you have euonymus, you'll probably end up with a scale infestation.

In the event that you are really interested, the white flakes are the adult male of the species and the differently shaped darker ones are the adult females.

I think that I'd rate this as a pretty serious infestation.

o

Probably scale and the most often used control is a horticultural oil which smothers the wee buggers. During the growing season a "summer" oil can be used, with care. During the dormant season a "dormant oil" can be used.

Here is a link that might be useful: scale on plants

o

Thank you everyone for the replies! I'll look into management of scale and treatment alternatives.

o

Just remember that many of us have removed euonymus entirely because of this problem. A heavy infestation such as yours is very difficult to get under control. It's likely that you'll have to deal with scale on this shrub for the rest of its natural life, even if you are able to get the problem under management.

One method (other than total removal) might entail cutting the whole plant back to the ground this coming spring, then applying horticultural oil at different times during the year. The new growth will emerge scale-less, but you'll have to keep after it to maintain it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here