Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jitsmith

Snapdragon rust

jitsmith
9 years ago

It's been a relatively cool wet Summer here, and I have to water my new flower beds from overhead - and my Snapdragons, both Rocket and Sonnet from a garden center and an OP seed-grown mix from Diane's Seeds, have developed rust.

My plan cutting off all diseased stuff I can see, bagging and disposing. Then hit it with Neem oil, and continue spraying every 7 days. I'll still have to overhead water this year but will install drip for next year. Hope is to keep them for a while this year, they're setting some nice blooms second time around.

There's a 5'x8' raised island in front that I want to mass Snaps in, there's 18 in there now and most have some rust. I had planned to let them seed, supplement with WS seedlings for next year. Now it sounds like I should get rid of all of the plants,/seeds and start it over.

Am I missing anything? I really want a mass of Snaps in front, and hope that I can nip this problem this year and not have it linger; we're normally hot and dry in Summer, and with drip irrigation I think I should be okay?

I've grown Snaps before but only in containers, this is my first yr playing in the dirt.

Comments (5)