Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeygurlz

Frost Proof Gardenia Advice - OUTDOORS Advice! Zone 6B

MonkeyGurlz
9 years ago

Heya,

So I hate posting another topic - but this is a little different.

I got two Frost Proof Gardenia (3 Gallons) which apparently are a zone 7-10. I live in a zone 6B... so I'm pushing it... I need advice for successfully growing it OUTDOORS. I plan on planting it within the next few days

From my understanding, it's best to plant it somewhere where the Northwest winds are minimal. Now our garden has a fabric covering then rocks on top. I'm considering adding some mulch under the fabric for additional freezing (to help the roots more gradually freeze/thaw - shielding). I'm also considering covering the plants... I really don't know

Any advice on keeping it alive/helping it flourish is appreciated!!!

This post was edited by MonkeyGurlz on Sun, Aug 24, 14 at 20:54

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I'd not add mulch if you are keeping the fabric plus rocks. I'd worry that the roots will struggle as it is for oxygen. Soil gas exchange is necessary for a healthy rhizosphere; roots and microorganisms emit CO2 which needs to be able to freely exit the soil. Oxygen from the atmosphere replaces the CO2 within the soil's pore spaces...if not impeded by layers upon layers.

A healthy mulch layer of an organic substance such as wood chips, bark nuggets, or pine straw is considered best for moderating soil temperatures, conserving moisture, and enhancing (even feeding) a vital soil microorganism population. That's the kind of soil environment that encourages a vigorous, strong root system.

I'd plan on covering the shrubs for the first couple of years, using a woven material of some kind, no plastic. Avoid excess fertilization all of the time but never fertilize past the mid summer. Same goes for pruning.....avoid any growth promoting procedure past mid summer.

Another good tip for promoting robust root systems more likely to withstand severe cold is to water intelligently. Avoid at all costs the kind of watering that encourages weak, shallow roots. I don't know how you can judge the moisture level of the soil and root ball under weed barrier and rocks, though.

If you live in an area that experienced severe winter temperatures this past winter, please know that there won't be anything you can do under those conditions. But those times are the exception (we hope) and shouldn't dictate whether we want to 'push the envelope ' or not.

• dbarron
    9 years ago

And even then, (at least for dormant plants), there were surprises when (for instance) my lantana which is a push in zone 6b, began emerging late, in June vs the usual May. Plants are resilient beasts sometimes...more than we expect.

Since I'd love to have a gardenia, would love to know how it does sometime next spring.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

have no fear about posting posts.. crikey thats the whole point of this place ...

and i dont care where you post ...

but this is the clinic... and certain peeps hang here ...

but you are asking CULTURAL advice on a flowering shrub ... maybe.. just maybe.. if you post in the shrub forum... you might find peeps pushing the same zone ...

and gardenia.. might even be covered in the tropical plant forum ...

zone pushing has to take in all pertinent winter issues ... winter wind is one.. winter sun is another .... ground freeze can be an issue also ... though i suspect G would not live thru ground freeze ... does you ground freeze???

good luck .. post your brains out.. wherever it pleases you ...

ken

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Lol, good catch Ken...I saw on the side bar and replied ...didn't notice what forum.

• MonkeyGurlz
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heya,

Sorry for posting it in the wrong forum. I thought "clinic" meant treating/fixing >...Thank you for your replies!!! So sounds like it would be in my best interest to keep both indoors at least until spring. If we have anything like last winter that's definitely death for both boths. I am considering planting one outdoors and another indoors (just to see how both fair).... my question changes to

For the indoor one:
    I have a 3 Gallon Pot - the plant is relatively big too! I looked into them, they are relatively slow at growing,

Mature Height: 3-4 ft.
    Mature Width: 3-6 ft.
    Sunlight: Full - Partial

1- How big of a pot should I transplant it into?

2- Is regular potting soil okay to use?

3- Should I use fertilizer since it's an already big plant? It's not like I need to help it with a root booster if it's indoors.... though I'm unsure how large the roots are or how far they extend. I would like to see the flowers bloom - I hear they smell amazing!!!

Any other advice?