Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Verticillium Wilt & Trading - What's the Right Thing to Do?

Posted by sherriseden z5 IL (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 20:51

I just had an experience where I was about to trade a plant when I realized it was within 3 feet of a space where I took out a viburnum 2 years ago due to verticillium wilt. I told the trader I did not feel right sending her the plant when I knew the soil still likely had the microbe in it. She thanked me for my honesty, but now I'm wondering - can I in good conscience trade ANYTHING in my yard? This was my first trade, thank goodness. I just want to do the right thing. Two other viburnums on the other side of the yard also got the disease this year and I took them down. But, I have tons of other healthy plants and shrubs. What do all of you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Verticillium Wilt & Trading - What's the Right Thing to Do?

First of all, thank you for being so responsible. Please know that Verticillium is practically ubiquitous in the soil and not all plants are susceptible. But, having said that, I could not in good conscience trade nor give plants from my gardens, if I knew that this particular disease was prevalent.

I think that you should manage your own plants and gardens, bringing in resistant cultivars so that you can have a beautiful landscape in spite of this disease.

Again....bravo for being a responsible trader.

o

First of all, thank you for being so responsible. Please know that Verticillium is practically ubiquitous in the soil and not all plants are susceptible. But, having said that, I could not in good conscience trade nor give plants from my gardens, if I knew that this particular disease was prevalent.

I think that you should manage your own plants and gardens, bringing in resistant cultivars so that you can have a beautiful landscape in spite of this disease.

Again....bravo for being a responsible trader.

o

Rhizo, thanks for the feedback. I had a hunch that v. wilt is just about everywhere, but since I did lose 3 viburnums, it may be really prevalent in my yard. I am now closed for trading and will send some soil samples to a lab and get help for cleaning up any abnormal infestation.

o

Verticillium, once present in the soil, requires susceptible plant species AND just the right conditions for an infestation to occur. Soil tests will not reveal anything of importance and you cannot rid your soil of the fungal propagules capable of infesting plants.

All you can do is to avoid plants on that list of susceptible species...Viburnum is on that list, by the way. If you have poorly drained locations on your property, you might consider doing something to improve the conditions.

If you stop providing host plants for the disease and do what you can to eliminate soggy soil, you can naturally reduce but not eliminate the presence of verticillium fungus in the soil.

o

Thanks! Good info. You sound like a botanist or soil scientist - that's awesome!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here