Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shawski_gw

Wilting squash with no signs of SVB damage?

shawski
9 years ago

Hello! One of my container squashes is wilting. I see no squash vine borer damage and the dirt is quite moist. The container seems adequate in size from my POV (but I might be wrong it's 14 x 14 x 9), and I have tomatoes in a similar container and that plant is doing well at about 5 ft tall. The squash vine was taught to climb a metal tomato cage. I honestly have no idea what kind of squash it is since it came in a burpee mixed winter packet. A pic is attached showing the biggest fruit on it. Can someone tell me what kind if squash it is, if I missing something that's making it wilt, or if it's just the horrid and craptastic weather were having in New England taking it's toll? It seems to kind of bounce back at night - but seems to be bouncing back less and less. My other squash in my garden are fairing much better but they are also in a shadier area of my yard. I posted this in the New England forum as well in hopes of someone being able to comment on the weather, so my apologies for the repeat of you're in both forums! Thank you so much!

Comments (6)

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

There are a number of reasons any plant will wilt , not just insect pests or disease. Too much soil moisture can cause that as well as too little. The picture does not show what you think it does.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

there is a gourd forum... especially in regard to a name ... [i have also seen gourd discussion on the cornucopia forum ]

your pic shows no sign of wilt ... so were can we go with such???

i have had gourds cover 10 square feet... your pot sounds tiny ...

in august.. these things can grow so fast... that they cant support themselves... and for a day or two.. it can simply LOOK like wilt ... but again.. the pic????

ken

• ronalawn82
    9 years ago

shawski, "It seems to kind of bounce back at night - but seems to be bouncing back less and less."
    That observation suggests "temporary wilt" transitioning into "permanent wilt" which indicates a drying out condition in the soil. You can try making a nail hole in the bottom of an empty one-gallon water jug. Fill the jug with water and place it at the root of the vine to provide 'drip irrigation'. Adjust the drip rate by loosening / tightening the cap of the jug. If the vine holds up all day, water might be the limiting factor.
    My grand mother would observe the kitchen garden for the same symptoms and she would decide when to water. The grandchildren would have the onerous task of fetching the water.
    She would water the kitchen garden in the afternoon when required; but the flower garden was watered in the morning.

• alisande
    9 years ago

I can't help with the wilt, but the squash looks like it could be a Buttercup. They're usually a little more flattened than this, but not always.

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

Too much soil moisture.
    Too little soil moisture.
    The plant is pot bound and the roots cannot uptake needed moisture.
    Too much sun that causes a plant to loose moisture faster then that moisture can be replaced.
    Too much fertilizer.
    Too little fertilizer.
    A lot of reasons why any plant might wilt.

Here is a link that might be useful: 7 reasons plants wilt

• Imapepper
    9 years ago

Fire ants! This seems to work for me. I had several beds of them in my raised little garden where I grow a few pepper plants tomatoes etc. I didn't want to use any poison, so I've read the pros & cons of using instant grits. So, like the chicken soup, may not help but won't hurt. I put about 1/4 cup on each bed. After a few days I decided it didn't work. Then in about a week, to my amazement they were gone! Have used it on another couple of beds in the yard, worked on them also. Ureaka!