Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mushy potatoes - what went wrong?

Posted by Cynthia51 7a (parker021413@gmail.com) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 21:21

I live in Oklahoma in zone 7a. This is my second year of gardening, and I decided to plant potatoes. I planted Norkota and Purple Adirondack potatoes on April 20, The plants were beautiful! I dug them up Aug 6, after the tops had died. What a disappointment! Half the tubers had big patches of tan, slimy mush; some of the tubers were completely gone. The best way to describe it is to say that it looked like the potatoes were just dissoving! This was only in the Norkota; The Purple Adirondack wasn't affected at all. After I brought the potatoes in I lost even more, as some of the potatoes developed white moldy patches.almost immediately.

My husband thinks it was because I dug them too late, but I followed what it said to do on the internet. Could it be because I delayed digging them too long, or because I planted so late in the spring? Or is something else to blame?

I threw all the infected potatoes away, but is it safe to compost the vines? Thank you for any help you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mushy potatoes - what went wrong?

Your description sounds exactly like bacterial soft rot.

o
RE: Mushy potatoes - what went wrong?

Cynthia51, "The Purple Adirondack wasn't affected at all."
Here it is stated that Adirondack (Blue!) is "Very susceptible to bacterial soft rot. .....Very resistant to foliar late blight strain US-23."
So, if the condition is indeed 'bacterial soft rot', then the blue (or purple) variety should have come down with the others.
I know very little about the diseases of the potato.
So I found enlightenment at
this site.
I am left to conclude that the condition is fungal rather than bacterial.
Thanks for the stimulant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here