Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chiggers!

Posted by taxtax (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 26, 11 at 21:53

I was wondering what the hell was biting me always on my waist band and ass (no joke). I was blaming everything from invisible mosquitoes to bed-bugs.

Then my girlfriend pointed out that bites in those specific locations are almost always chiggers. I then did a bit of reading and I'm sure that's what it is.

The problem now is, how the hell to lesson the numbers in the garden? It seems I almost always get these damn chigger bites when working in the garden. It's at the point where I won't even sit down to read anywhere near the garden.

Our damn environmentally-nutzo city hall has banned any type of pesticide use over the last few years, and the whole city has been up uproar at the mass outbreaks in tics and every other nasty thing you can think of, but the city hall refuses to budge on this environment issue, no matter the risk of lime disease to children & pets.

So... what can I do now? I'm getting tired of scratching my ass all day (sorry!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chiggers!

Wear protective personal repellent on your person and on your clothes. Spray your shoes and socks, and even tuck your trousers into your socks. Keep the grass mowed and the weeds cleared and you'll cut down the population somewhat.

Truly, using whatever insect repellents you can tolerate is the best solution. I'd also suggest that you hit a hot shower when you come in from the outdoors....and toss your clothes in the washer.

o

Yes, I read to take a shower after being outside, and never wear the same pants twice. Anyhow, due to the heatwave we had this year I also wore shorts more than I usually due which obviously wasn't much a help.

I just wish there was some other answere, like spreading lady-bugs or something else to cut down on the chigger population.

Maybe hummingbirds or preying mantids would help? I guess chiggers are too small to be caught by them.

o

No, mantids, hummingbirds, and ladybugs won't help.

Truthfully, plain ordinary mosquito repellants work, including herbal and 'natural' products. A favorite repellent in some locations is Avon's Skin-So-Soft bath oil applied generously and frequently to the skin. It can also be mixed with water and sprayed on...including your clothes.

o

you're going to have to used major bug spray, and shower more frequently.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here