Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Amur Maple disease

Posted by frogribbit_2010 66002 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 22:08

I planted 3 foot Amur maples in June & they have been doing very well until lately. I have been watering every 5 days if we haven't had any rain. I've already lost one. The edges of the leaves turn brown, then eventually the whole leaf turns and then the trunk dies. Attaching a pic. Thanks!

Image link: Amur Maple disease (42 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Amur Maple disease

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 19, 10 at 23:01

Not a disease.

Newly planted trees often need to be watered every day or two. And the *critical* place to apply the water is directly into the rootball.

o

I'll disagree slightly with jean, the 'disease' is lack of water.

Dan

o

• Posted by hortster 6A, southcentral KS (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 20, 10 at 11:06

frogribbit, did you fertilize when planting or after? I have seen a similar look (dead tan tip, darker brown line between the green and tan areas) when new plants have been fed before they have had time to establish a good root system. But, could be too little water as well.
hortster

o

We have clay soil - I'd think watering every day (or even two) would be too much??

Horster - I did fertilize once with half strength Miracle grow. So do you think I 'burned' the root ball?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here