Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bee balm mildew issues

Posted by stottlar1 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 07 at 22:15

Hi all,

I planted two beebalm this year and they grew to about 2 1/2 feet -3 feet tall and got a few blooms early july. Then the leaves got the white mildew spots on it and now they kinda went dormant and look ugly. Is there any way to reverse this mildew disease or do I have cut them back in the fall and wait til next year? Please help.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bee balm mildew issues

that is one of the reasons i quit growing it ....

besides. i moved and forgot to take some with me.. lol ..

make sure the leaves are dry at night... PM thrives in damp, dank, hot darkness of summer nights ... so making sure the leaves are dry before dusk helps ...

as will increase of air movement at night ... probably helping dry wetness ... take a walk in the dark . and see if any areas actually have some air movement ...
research organic sprays for PM .. prevention is the key ... once its there.. its too late to stop it.. i think its as easy as baking soda and water ...

research resistant versions of the plant ...

good luck

ken

o

The tricky thing about powdery mildew is that the spores are capable of germinating in high humidity conditions and do not require moisture on the leaves like other fungi. There are some nights when you will get these conditions even if you are careful about watering. Your choices are to plant a mildew resistant bee balm (if there is such a thing), replace it with something else, treat with a fungicide, or live with the damage. PM doesn't often kill plants and the next spring they will grow new shoots and leaves next year. There is a baking soda fungicide that you can make at home that some folks say works well on PM. Mix 2 Tbsp. baking soda, 2 Tbsp. Horticultural oil, and a few drops dish soap in 1 gallon water. This can kill the spores and prevent damage but doesn't cure the plant once PM has started. It is best to treat with this before or as soon as you see any symptoms, not when it is severe.

o

There are numerous "recipes" for this baking soda mixture and the one I have used for many years is simply 1 teaspoon of baking soda in 1 quart of water and that is sprayed on the affected plants every 5 to 7 days until the PM is gone. I have never found it necessary to add any kind of oil and some research has found the oil in this spray will do more harm than the PM.
Another spray that is just as effective is a 50/50 mixture of fat free milk and water sprayed on the same schedule.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here