Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Parsley Worm question

Posted by landey1230 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 07 at 22:23

We just went through our monsoon season and all the critters are out to play. I noticed parsley worms all over my shrubs and apple tree. My wife doesn't like them too much, but I wonder if they are any harm. Will parsley worms affect or damage my plants/tree? Here's a link of what they look like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blackstarjewelry/592925466/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Parsley Worm question

The caterpillar that you have illustrated is the caterpillar of the Black Swallowtail butterfly. These caterpillars will be found on parsley and very closely related plants and not on apples, etc. I suspect that this is a case of mistaken identity.

On their host plants (parsley, carrots, dill, etc.), these beautiful caterpillars will gladly eat until there is no more, then will find a place to pupate so that the transformation into a butterfly can occur.

o

Oh boy. So, how can I get rid of them without hurting my plants?

o

Because they're found on food plants such as parsley and dill, the only solution is to hand-pick them - but then you won't get the butterflies they are soon to become. You can't poison them because then you can't eat your herbs.

Dill is so easy, I just plant extra and let them have it. Dill, fennel, parsley, rue - I see someone mentioned carrots but I have no experience with that. If I really wanted to save my dill, I'd pick them up and put them on the fennel, which grows like a great bronze cloud with no help from me.

They taught me to respect my rue. They ate it down to nothing in practically no time - just a tiny green stub - and it came back!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here