Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help sick Asian pear tree! 911!!!

Posted by globo-bobo SoCal (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 14, 12 at 22:27

My parents are on vacation and left me to care for their house and garden. I've been watering their plants and fruit trees almost every day and noticed that some of their Asian Pears are turning black! I've never had a green thumb and usually unintentionally kill every plant I come in contact with. The pears are fine but start to turn black from the base then the blackness spreads to the rest of the fruit. Finally when the pear turns completely black they fall off the tree. They've had this tree for years and this has never happened. I had planted a pumpkin plant not too far away that grew white moss all over it. Yesterday I removed the pumpkin plant thinking it spread its disease to the tree. What could it be and how do I stop it?

Help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help sick Asian pear tree! 911!!!

i think you gratuitously killed the pumpkin ...

though you will probably get an answer here.. you might want to also try in the fruit forum ...

to my ear/eye.. sounds like a stem rot.. so i added pear.. and googled for you.. see link

its nothing you did.. the cure.. if any.. will probably involve multiple sprayings of the tree over the entire growing season.. which is why.. i gave up on fruit in the yard.. its just not worth the chemical exposures ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here