Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nicotine sulphate/Blackleaf 40 source?

Posted by rredbbeard SE CT USA/zone 6 (rredbbeard@aol.com) on
Sun, Aug 17, 08 at 22:30

This product used to be available at retail. Does anyone know where in the US this can be purchased now?

Thanks,

--Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nicotine sulphate/Blackleaf 40 source?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 0:38

No longer on retail shelves. Nicotine is nasty stuff.

So, what is it you're trying to manage? Perhaps we can suggest something else that works.

o

The product registration has been canceled by the USEPA so this stuff can no longer be sold, legally, in the USA.

o

Yeah, it can be nasty, but I liked it because it was relatively organic and very specific and handled a lot of bugs. After a day or two, it was totally degraded. Right now I've been going after tomato worms with an organic spray, to which I add a few drops of bacillus t. This gets squash bugs and the worms at the same time.

It seems like nicoine is no more deadly than some of the other chemicals on the market;it's effects are just more immediately apparent...

I'm wondering if I could produce something similar by simmering tobacco in water...?

--Rr

o

At one time, for some reason, some people did consider Nicotine Sulfate "organic" but it is as organic as arsenic and cyanide. Arsenic was at one time also considered as an acceptable organic pesticide and was marketed as Paris Green, but knowledgable people would not use that any more than the Nicotine Sulfate.

o

I have a bottle of black leaf 40 for sale, it is a little bit used like 1/6 is used. If you are intersted in buying please email me at bb20110108@celts.kennedycatholic.net

o

Back in '50 and '51 I sprayed trees, getting soaked several times a day. We used arsenate of lead and nicotine sulfate. Something in there must be a preservative. I'm 80 and still gardening. Every time we find something that works, the government bans it. cyanogas was another, yellowjackets in the ground. dead in minutes.

o

OMG

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here