Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
round, tiny, white bugs/mites in my soil...help

Posted by avincent071 MA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 23:32

Hello. Recently I have been using Miracle Gro's Organic choice potting mix, and it has been nothing but trouble, at least I think it has. Anyway, I have seen these round, very tiny, white mites in my soil. On the first occasion, it was with my dracaena plant, they were in the soil, but they didn't seem to be on the leaves. The second time was in my propagator (high humidity), with some tagetes seeds. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also I have been stuggling with fungus gnats. That problem isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. I've just been putting the plants out on the deck a lot more, and cutting back on watering. Will this work or will I need chemicals.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: round, tiny, white bugs/mites in my soil...help

Those are the larva of one or another insect and may well be the larva of the Fungus Gnats you have. Aside from cutting back on soil watering, if these are the larva of the Fungus Gnats, you could but some Mosquito Dunks, one of the Bacillus thuringiensis bacteriums, on the soil and that could help.

o

have very tiny white bugs on my indoor herbs. I think they were in the potting soil because they only appeared after I transplanted my seedlings. Could these be cyclamen mites? Here is a link to some photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/MFusco/Bugs

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of the bugs

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, May 22, 08 at 14:05

Sorry. Can't determine anything from the blurry photos.

Beyond that, if cyclamen mites were presesnt, they would be on the plant, not on/in the potting mix or soil.

o

the best way to kill any and bugs will be to microwave the soil for about 3:00min.try this and if any reaper put a raw potato sliced in chunks and chance every two or three day, do this two or three different times and your soil is bug free.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here