Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden help needed- ants in roots of coneflower

Posted by Krissykat12 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 14 at 23:36

Hello,

I have a coneflower plant in a container on my patio. Today, while potting it up, I noticed tons and tons of black ants around the roots. I think they're living inside the root ball, but i'm not sure. I don't have any ant colonies on my patio, so there's nowhere else for them to be living.

Are these ants a problem? Will they harm my coneflower plant? If so, how should I treat for them without harming my plant?

Thanks so much!

Kristen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden help needed- ants in roots of coneflower

Ants, generally, are not a problem. However, a large colony around a plant can create one. The simplest means of getting rid of them would be to unpot the plant and wash all of the potting soil off the plant roots, ie. clean it up really good, and then repot in clean soilless mix.

o

you dont mention any harm to the plant...

ergo.. ipso .. presto ... no remedy required ...

in fall .... plant it in the ground... or repot it ... i would do neither in august...

ken

o

To contradict Ken, I would say...the only problems I've seen is that A) the ants displace most or all of the soil (frequent problem) B) sometimes it's the type of ant that farms aphids on roots....

A good overnight soaking (over top of pot in a gallon or 5 gallon bucket) should cause the ants to vacate. Probably even an hour soaking...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here