Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
insect egg identification

Posted by madmac2007 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 07 at 0:31

I have a "moth-like" bug laying eggs on all my south facing window screens. Initially they're teeny tiny and white, in a cluster (one is laying them in a loop pattern as I write this!). Then within a day or two they turn dark brown and are there for some time. Sometimes there are "unfertilized" eggs that remain white. This is the second year in a row this has happened and I'd like to know specifically what it is. There are too many moth species to look up and identify - and I'm not even sure that's what it is. Can anyone help with my ongoing fascination?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: insect egg identification

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 12, 07 at 1:58

It might help us if you tell where you live, also what size and color is the "moth-like" bug you see.

Beyond that, can you post a photo of the adult?

o

I'm trying to think of a moth that would deposit her eggs on a window screen!

o

I live in on old farm land outside of Chicago. The bug was a greyish-beige and about 1 inch long. I tried to take a picture but she was laying eggs during the night, so none of the pictures came out. It was the first time I've ever even seen what kind of bug it was laying the eggs. I'll keep an eye out...if I ever see one during the day, I'll post a picture.

o

I live in Rhode Island. This past Monday I woke up to two circles of tiny brown insect eggs on my south facing bedroom window screen. This morning one of the circles of eggs hatched into tiny white worms which are no also gone. The other circle has not hatched yet. I would love to know what layed the eggs. Any info would be great!

o

THis fall I found some interesting looking egg casings. It looks like a little dollop of whipped cream at the base of some of my plants. I don't know if these are from beneficial insects or not and will not get rid of them if this is the case. Can someone identify this insect egg casing for me?

o

Today, I found some oval-shaped eggs in my garage that are about 1 cm long and they are dark with lines. Inside, it's slimy and wet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here