Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cute as a bugs ear?

Posted by molossermom 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 4:10

I'm just wondering if this little guy is friend or foe to my yellow squash. Does anyone know what it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cute as a bugs ear?

I'm guessing that it's the nymph (immature stage) of a Southern Stink Bug.

o

a great photo???

ken

ps: thats not his ear ... lol ...

o

LOL Ken it's the (R)ear. It is a precious little creature, btw. Stink bug or not.

o

either that.. or he has antennae sticking out his rear end.. lol ..

sorry.. i apparently.. digress ... lol

ken

o

I thought the little guy was adorable and was wondering what he might be snacking on, Not that I mind sharing (I havent used pesticides in years)and I havent noticed any damage to my plants. The last bug I took a great picture of turned out to be a huge tomato worm . Since I had never seen one before I thought it was pretty too.lol

o

I agree, this is a little beauty.

o

So I googled Southern Stink bug (good guess rhizo 1) and learned that they can be destructive in large numbers and evidently here in California there are imported wasps that keep their numbers down.
No, the antennae are attached to the head! Lol, and “r(ear)", very funny.

o

rhizo never guesses ...

she is a bug wizard ...

ken

o

"guess" her words, not mine. Just my indirect way of saying thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Bug wizard... good to know.!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here