Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue fly

Posted by AngelMutt South Texas (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 11, 12 at 5:32

I'm a first time gardener and have run into several pest problems. Ants infest my dirt, white flies on my leaves (I think), spiders spinning webs, and a mysterious blue fly. I have already researched all and could not find much information on the blue fly. Is it good, bad? Is it eating bad things or making them worse? Although it is pretty, my garden's health comes first.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue fly

Flies, in general, are not often plant pests, although they can be spreaders of human diseases. Flies traipse around in decaying waste, human and animal manure and rotting vegetation and that is where they lay the eggs that become the maggots that become the adult flies.

o

i would be more curious about all the little black and white spots on the leaf ..

flies really dont have the attention span required for hanging around a specific plant.. and bothering it ... lol ..

ken

o

Angel, not to worry! Some people are strangely phobic about flies in general, and fear that they are disease-ridden, maggoty vermin.

Your little fly is the very beneficial Long Legged Fly, a helpful predator in our gardens. Look for them in other irridescent colors, too. Congratulations on your visitor...I hope that you will see many Long Legged flies in days to come.

o

Angel, I'll post a link to the Google images page for these great little insects. They're like like jewels, aren't they? I seem to see the copper and green colored ones more than the others in my gardens. My husband and I were sitting outside the other night and two of these were busy all over the basket of lantana we keep on the table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

o

Thank you all, the link was very interesting rhizo. They are very pretty little guys. To ken_adrian, didn't even cross my mind about the spots. I've been dealing with other horrible pests but I figured my plants are healthy enough to fight, and I have spiders on almost all my plants eating little white bugs (whiteflies i believe). Seems to be handling itself so far. Should I be worried though?

o
what i believe to be whitefly

confirm or deny

o

Confirm that those are whitefly. And hasn't that little spider been busy! She has her territory strewn with whitefly carcasses.

o

It's nice to see that there are a few good flies out there, helping our gardens. And way to go spider!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here