Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disease of pepino melon

Posted by arcticferret UK (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 15, 11 at 6:04

Hi

I don't know if anyone can help me, but i'm really worried about my pepino melon. It's developed some kind of white scaly spots which started on the stems and then spread to the leaves - in some cases along the veins, in others on the leaf blade. The spots started off small and white (not coming off on my fingers when I brush them) and now are getting bigger and browner (almost like the leaf flesh is disappearing), with black spots on the underside of the leaf. I thought it was powdery mildew and bought a special fungicide but the problem just seems to be getting worse. The leaves are looking discoloured and are curling up, and there are strange patches dying off. I've googled lots but am struggling to find out what it is.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, i'd be very grateful.

Image link: Disease of pepino melon (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disease of pepino melon

Powdery Mildew on plants looks like someone dusted them with some flour and it rubs off easily. What you have definately is not PM. I'm not finding anything similar although this link may be of some help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Melon diseases

o

Thanks very much for having a look and for the link - it's got some very useful information. I've continued trying to use a very strong fungicide but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be helping.

o

Those few small lesions may or may not be important. Those on the stsem resemble scale insects. can you lift them off with a fingernail?

It might help us if you post a picture of the entire plant.

o

Hi

You can't lift them off as intact lesions, but it is possible to scrape them off the stem and they kind of crumble into powder - the lesions themselves are flat and vary in size a lot. I'm unsure how to attach another picture, but the picture of the whole plant isn't very detailed - the plant is quite big and overall looks green and healthy from afar, it's only when closer that it's obvious there is something covering it.
I've also noticed that any flowers the plant produces are just falling off and dying too.
I'm trying dithane fungicide now in the hope that does something.

Thanks for all your help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here