Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
orange and black beetle?

Posted by novice_2009 zone 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 6:23

I've seen these guys all over my tansy, I mean lots, and a few in my flower/herb garden. No, it's not a colordo potato beetle, or a striped blister beetle. A search on web for pics turned up nothing for me
They are shaped like a lightning bug, have a black/orange color "block", and fly.
I know this is sketchy without a pic, but anyone know what these are?
The large population is what concerns me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: orange and black beetle?

I'll take a stab at it....perhaps one of the soldier beetles? There are many species, so you'll need to look at many images.

There are also different species of blister beetles and lightning bugs!

Here is a link that might be useful: Soldier beetle images

o

rhizo, is a soldier beetle a good guy? Hope not because I just put a lot of them into pail of soapy water.....
Nope, not a blister beetle, dealt with them on my alfalfa this summer.
My whole life I've never seen a lightning bug like this...so it's not that. I'll check your link.
Thanks!

o
soldier beetle

Yep, rhizo, that's it!!!! Thank you. It even showed a pic of one on tansy flowers, where so many were.
Are these good guys or bad guys?
I shoulda checked first...but it's been such a bad year with bad bugs.....I'm getting to the point where I'm just squishing/soapy pail...ya know?
Except for the praying mantis I saw the other day. No mistaking that one!

o

Soldier beetles....google them! They are beneficial as adults and larvae. You're a lucky person, novice! Thanks for posting the image.

I'm going to attach my newest favorite web application. Some people think it's kinda 'snarky' (as it's been called), but I do NOT mean it that way. Just one more window into the world wide web. I hope you smile when you open it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Let me google that for you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here