Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spittlebugs on Pennisetum

Posted by forensicmom 7a (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 20, 12 at 7:31

I planted 8 pennisetum at the park near my house a week and a half ago. I've watered them very good, every other day but they're still turning brown. They were all root bound and ALL had evidence of spittlebugs at the base.

I'm not sure what could be causing the browning? Water, spittlebugs or root issues?

I just replaced all of these because the ones I planted last year did not come back at all. Everything else (miscanthus, knockout roses, black eyed susans and a few others) thrived with the same amount of water, sunlight, soil, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spittlebugs on Pennisetum

well.. it is fall.. its a grass ... they were abused stock all summer [??? they are buggy] ... recently transplanted ...

could they simply be going dormant a bit early ??? pix????

do you see any life deep within the plant ????? what i might loosely call.. next years buds????

or are they evergreen in your zone????

save your recpt ....

ken

o

Spittlebugs are a problem in the spring & early summer. Don't know what those grasses had. Have?

Why turning brown so early in the game? Likely the original rootballs are dry.

o

Thanks for responding. Yes, I'm certain they are spittlebugs. I'm a master gardener and we studies these, so I'm familiar. They have been well watered every other day since planting. Several are turning more brown then the others, which is why I asked if it might be the spittlebugs. Just not sure. I guess I will have to wait and see.

o

We need pictures.

Further, plants turn brown within a week of when they were planted if they have a water problem in the original rootball -- is the original potting mix wet, dry, or moist?

o

Spittlebugs are very easy to see and tell if present because of the spit ball they form on infested plants. Mostly they are not enough of a problem to require drastic control measures and simply knocking them off plants with a sharp water stream is enough. Some sources do mention apply a pesticide under pressure, something that would knock the wee buggers off the plant with the pesticide most likely doing more harm to any predators then the target.
A very large population of spittlebugs may cause harm to plants but I've not seen that yet even as an Advanced Master Gardener.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Spittlebugs

o

You say they were rootbound. Did you tease out the tangled roots or cut them so they could grow outward? This sounds like shock to me. Too long in the pot and then transplanted to another place. Maybe dogs peed on them in this park? Just guessing here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here