Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shenue

pests or... ?

shenue
10 years ago

I started noticing these on my ficus benjamina a few days ago. They are very small...maybe like 1/16 in. White, waxy and very flat, like a sheet of paper. They are on the leaves in various places, top and underneath the leaves, but mainly on the underneath with the majority of them on the spot where the leaf joins to the stem. There aren't many of them at all. I've only gotten maybe 30 of them from the whole plant. They are individual and not clumped or even close to each other. The leaves that have them don't have more than 1 on the leaves. I've had the plant several years and this is the first time I've seen these. They fall off easily when I touch them and don't move at all when they are on my hand or when I put them on my table to take this picture. They just don't look like anything that is living, but I realize they are coming from somewhere, obviously. When I rub them between my fingers, they have a kind of waxy feel and will break apart or hmmmm sort of disintigrate. But if these are some kind of pest I want to catch them now and get rid of them before the infectation would become heavy. I have a strong emotional attachment to the plant. It was given to me a few years ago when my mom passed away. So, I would hate to lose it. The ficus is small, about 18 to 24 inches, potted, and has always been indoors.
Any help, information, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

This post was edited by shenue on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 8:49

Comments (4)