Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of eggs?

Posted by avalley Virginia (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 9:33

It is mid September and my shrub is dying. It has these small white "eggs" all over it. Can you tell me what they are and what to do. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of eggs?

based on this pic.. your plant is not dying... it has vibrant lush new growth ....

besides the alleged eggs.. of which i cant focus on ... what other symptoms does it have..

a pic of the whole will help ...

what is the plant.. and if euonymus.. compare scale..

ken

o

I don't think those are eggs. Those look exactly like euonymus scale crawlers and NOW is the time to treat them. Do it before your window of opportunity closes.

That's my best guess, anyway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Euonymus Scale

o

Deleted duplicate.

This post was edited by MulchMama on Sun, Sep 15, 13 at 15:00

o

if scale.. i would do one of two things..

get rid of the plant.. as this pest is endemic tot eh whole family of plants.. [got rid of all 10 of mine due to scale.. it wasnt worth the cost of remedy #2]

but if you insist.. i would use bayer tree and shrub.. hard core.. heavy duty.. .systemic..

you will kill them all.. and be pest free for years thereafter ...

i have never succeeded with all the organic oils sprays .. as i could never perfect the timing issues... since its usually a 40 hour window.. once a year .... and you better be a wizard with your sprayer.. because you have to hit every single one.. and suffocate it with the oil.. so miss one.. and you will be back at it in a year or so ....

ken

o

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 12:49

I lost a large (over 6 foot) euonymus to scale this summer.

I know you need to get it early...ken's Bayer advice sounds very good.

Otherwise the plant needs to be removed and burned or sent to the dump.

o

It does look like a pretty heavy infestation as well. You can whack that shrub back and get rid of a major part of the infestation. It will grow back. I would treat it with hort oil. I have treated a very major outbreak of euonymus scale on a creeping variety, by that regime and they never came back. I prefer the suffocants like hort oil, rather than a systemic like imidicloprid. You don't need to catch scale in the crawler stage for suffocants like you do with contact poisons. It's effective in ALL stages of the life cycle from eggs to mature adults.

o

Thank you for all the advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here