Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caterpillars rolling leaves on mexican oleander/lucky nut tree

Posted by bthughes South Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 23, 12 at 9:42

I have two Mexican oleanders, a yellow and a peach. They are vigorous, but suffer from hosting a caterpillar that rolls itself up in leaves with a web. Hummingbirds like the flowers. I want to eliminate this infestation with a minimal impact to the environment.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caterpillars rolling leaves on mexican oleander/lucky nut tre

we need an ID to figure out if they are actually a pest ...

if they arent..then removing them is harmful to the environment ...

but that said. what harm are they doing to the tree?? .. other than using a few leaves ...

in other words.. tell us how your tree is 'suffering' as you say ..

pix will usually get you an ID ...

ken

o

They are most likely the caterpillars of the very pretty mexican oleander moth, also called the satin white moth. How bad is the infestation? I'm not familiar with this particular plant nor this caterpillar. A very close relative, Nerium oleander, can be devestated quickly by its primary pest...also a caterpillar. I have no idea if yours behaves that way or not.

o

Depending upon how extensive the webbing is, disrupt/break with a stick. Then remove -- using fingers or tongs -- the caterpillars & drop into soapy water.

o

How extensive is this infestation?
Squishing the larva in the leaf is one method of control with small populations. There are numerous insect predators of these leaf rollers that would be harmed more by any pesticide than the leaf roller would.
There is one moth that lays eggs on this species of Oleander that become larva that apparently defoiliate the tree with no long term harm to the tree.

o

Kimmsr, perhaps you are speaking of the Oleander caterpillar, Syntomeida epilais. Who knows? If so, I can inform you that Nerium oleander can be stripped clean by an unchecked population of those insects. That's not acceptable for a broad leaf evergreen.
BTK can be a very useful tool.

o

Kimmsr, perhaps you are speaking of the Oleander caterpillar, Syntomeida epilais. Who knows? If so, I can inform you that Nerium oleander can be stripped clean by an unchecked population of those insects. That's not acceptable for a broad leaf evergreen.
BTK can be a very useful tool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here