Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Red Squirrel Problem

Posted by tmcguinn1 19087 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 18, 06 at 9:50

I have a family of red squirrels living in the dormer above my master bedroom. No access to that area, but I found the hole in the trim outside where they are getting in. So far I have seen the mother and three babies. There could be more babies as they only step out of the hole and then dart back in. I was told not to catch the mother just yet or the babies would freak and not come out of the hole and then they would die in there and create a "slight" odor problem. So, I have set a trap out there locked open with cashews (only nut I have in at the moment) sprinkled nearby to try to get them used to the trap being there. (Nothing else to do anyway until I can catch them). Using a havahart 1030. Was told 1040 is better but hard to find. Using cashews dipped in PB so they stick to the roof and don't roll off because it is a very sloped roof. Question is, cashews don't seem to be disappearing. Do red squirrels like anything else better? Also, trap is on sloped roof. Will it work ok there? It's secure as I put two nails in that it is wedged on. Tested it and seems to spring, but would it be better elsewhere? I want to make sure I catch the right squirrels and I tried to get it close to their hole, but as I said it is a pretty steep pitch and frankly, I'm scared out there and I put it as far as I can reach hanging out and around the window. Last question, what is the best (read least scary) way to destroy the pests once I get them? I'm kind of squeamish but will do it. Don't want them back and don't want the problem moving to someone else. Thanks for any help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Red Squirrel Problem

I'm trying to thing what forum might offer help to you, but can't come up with one.

o

I'd try the wildlife forum. Good luck.

o

I don't know about red squirrels, but grey squirrels in Florida may be about the same with babies. I'd just let them be. Catching even one may disrupt their normal behavior, especially if you get the mother and they become separated. The babies WILL perish if not yet weaned. Normally at about 6-8 weeks or so the babies will be weaned and normally by 12 weeks from birth will venture out on their own to find their own nest. Hopefully in a tree this time!! Once you see them leave and see the mom outside, try to seal up the entrance to their cozy abode. No easy task, I know. Maybe cover that spot with aluminum or something equally hard to knaw through. They'll usually make another nest in a few days or less. My wife rescues wildlife in Florida and this is her suggestion. Normally they won't do any harm in your attic. You don't want them to make it their permanent home though or they'll bring in fleas and eventually you'll start to get that 'animal smell' from decaying food and droppings. Good luck and hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions we may be able to help with.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here