Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmcguinn1

Red Squirrel Problem

tmcguinn1
17 years ago

I have a family of red squirrels living in the dormer above my master bedroom. No access to that area, but I found the hole in the trim outside where they are getting in. So far I have seen the mother and three babies. There could be more babies as they only step out of the hole and then dart back in. I was told not to catch the mother just yet or the babies would freak and not come out of the hole and then they would die in there and create a "slight" odor problem. So, I have set a trap out there locked open with cashews (only nut I have in at the moment) sprinkled nearby to try to get them used to the trap being there. (Nothing else to do anyway until I can catch them). Using a havahart 1030. Was told 1040 is better but hard to find. Using cashews dipped in PB so they stick to the roof and don't roll off because it is a very sloped roof. Question is, cashews don't seem to be disappearing. Do red squirrels like anything else better? Also, trap is on sloped roof. Will it work ok there? It's secure as I put two nails in that it is wedged on. Tested it and seems to spring, but would it be better elsewhere? I want to make sure I catch the right squirrels and I tried to get it close to their hole, but as I said it is a pretty steep pitch and frankly, I'm scared out there and I put it as far as I can reach hanging out and around the window. Last question, what is the best (read least scary) way to destroy the pests once I get them? I'm kind of squeamish but will do it. Don't want them back and don't want the problem moving to someone else. Thanks for any help!!

Comments (3)