Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash bugs and subterranean termites

Posted by Jedonne 6/7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 9:58

I just found this part of the forum, and I'm hoping someone can help me with my vegetable garden.
I was completely overrun by squash bugs this summer. They were SO bad that they literally decimated my pumpkins, winter squash and summer squash.
Another problem I had was these subterranean termites. ICK! They are EVERYWHERE - not just in the garden, but they feast on the roots of baby plants and older plants alike. The care not whether their food is dead or alive.
Finally, the ants. I have several types of ants. Some seem to not bother anything, but the really big ones carry off my seed and eat my plants - no matter how big or small. Also, there are little black ants that like to live on my okra and beans. Haven't determined if they actually hurt anything though.
I'd like to take care of my pests organically - or at least with as little chemicals as possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash bugs and subterranean termites

Termites don't eat live plants.

Please post pictures so that we can help you determine what is running amok in your garden.

Post images of the critters and of the plant damage please.

o
RE: Squash bugs and subterranean termites

Termites eat cellulose, most often that which is found in woody materials. Termites are needed to digest the fallen trees in the forest, but not the felled trees we build our houses of. So termites are not the problem in your garden, something else is.
Ants are part of Ma Natures recycling machine and will work on most anything they determine to be waste. So even though you have ants in your garden they are not, really, a problem.
Squash bugs, Squash Vine Borer, Cucumber Beetles, etc. can be real problems in any garden and the best defense is a good offense. Floating Row Covers an help as can encouraging beneficial or predator insects to hang around. Most all insecticides will kill off these beneficial/predators as well as the insect pests, however.
This link to an ATTRA publication may be of soem help.

Here is a link that might be useful: organic control of squash pests

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here