Return to the Garden Clinic Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
(Pics) Help! White bugs & Red bugs on Herbs!

Posted by foodgardener 10, Fl (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 07 at 10:11

This forum has been very helpful as I learned more and more about gardening. I am fairly new at gardening. All of my plants are grown in containers and less than 6 months old. However, now I have at least 2 new bugs that are destroying 3 of my plants (peppermint, parsley, and strawberry). With these pictures, please help me identify the problem so that I can hopefully come up with a solution.

Peppermint: Tiny reddish-brown bugs that when squeezed release brownish stain. They usually hide on underside of leaves. They have completely devastated my once thriving peppermint plant over the course of the past month. This needs critical attention!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Italian, Flat-leaf Parsley: Tiny white/yellow cream bugs that release dirty, black gunk when squeezed. These bugs seem to be very sticky and are both sides of the leaves (top and underside).

Strawberry: Has same white/yellow cream bugs as parsley. However, it also has a white cottony mold-like growth along the runner stems. Could this be 2 problems?
Bugs
Cottony growth view 1
Cottony growth view 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: (Pics) Help! White bugs & Red bugs on Herbs!

The parsley appears to have aphids and there are whiteflies on the strawberry. Neem can be used on both of these. I have had good success using insecticidal soap on aphids, but on whiteflies it requires several repeated applications.

I can't make out photo #1. The cottony growth could be a type of scale or fungal growth, but again, I can't make out enough detail. With that much fungal growth, I would expect to see some stem discoloration, so I am leaning towards a cottony scale.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Clinic Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here