Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliett1313

Transplanted lilac withering

Juliett1313
9 years ago

Please help. I bought a Dwarf Lilac bush and planted it in my yard. I understand about transplant shock but it's been a couple weeks and my poor plant is withering with some branches turning brown. There has been plenty of rain so I don't think it's too dry and the area has enough sun as there is another plant of the exact same species in another tier on the other side of my stairs and that lilac is huge and healthy. I just dont know what to do. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Well, first off, mid summer is the absolute worst time to plant anything unless you know exactly what you're doing. Next worst time is late summer.

If the lilac fails, try planting in fall after leaf drop next time.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

it wont fail ... but it wont look pretty for the rest of the year.. who cares... its going to snow in MN in weeks anyway .. lol ..

and if it goes dormant early.. good enough ...

the future is all in those giant buds ... if they stay fat and happy.. .you will be all set ...

and wrap your head around this.. for the future.. just because you buy it.. doesnt mean its planting time ... next time.. put the pot in full shade until mid sept or so ... and then plant it ... even better.. after the leaves fall off .. then they wont turn ugly ...

i have no fear.. that it will fail ... its a lilac

do insure proper water .... deep into fall ... but dont freeze the roots into an ice cube...

see link for planting guide ... especially about watering ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Kimmsr
    9 years ago

This was most likely a potted Lilac which can be planted during the summer. However, far too often people assume that a plant gets adequate moisture when it is not and they do not then follow the directions that say water this plant daily for X time period and then as often as necessary for the first year after planting. The root ball of this Lilac may not be getting any water because of the different soils around the root ball and the soil it is planted in.
    Put a hose at the base of the Lilac and run water there, or pour water from a watering can there and see if that shrub responds.

• Juliett1313
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank u guys for responding. I feel much better. I am very new to gardening and this is my 1st plant at my 1st house so he's kinda special >.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

Next time I'll research myself instead of just going by what my Mother says.

==>>> lol ... perhaps mom might not have been as horrified as you were.. at the result.. and she just forgot to mention that part... lol ... or.. she was there 24/7 ... and watered it everyday ... who knows ...

on anything in the garden ... the future is ALWAYS in the buds ... as long as the buds on your lilac stay fat ... happy.. and green... you will win ... no matter what happens to all the leaves ....

if they turn black ... you are in trouble ... but even then.. the plant.. being a lilac ... might come back from the roots ...

join us in the annual.. perennial, and shrub forums.. to decorate your new garden ... trees too.. and maybe conifers .... i find.. that peeps who ask in advance... gain much more pleasure in learning.. and have much less problems ...

ken

Sponsored
Century Stair Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
DC Metro Area Luxury Custom Staircase & Railing Professional